Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-fry-66743/)

AbbeysDad 03-31-2011 08:16 PM

Fish Fry

Hey everyone! So far this seems like a great site!

Back in the day I was into tropical fish with several tanks...but things change.

A couple of years ago, my daughter started with a beta that didn't last and it was a tragedy that required a full funeral. Later came a goldfish, then a 5 gallon tank, followed by a ten gallon tank. After a slight succession of goldfish, we just switched to a few tropicals two weeks ago (3 neon tetras and two Red Wag PLatys). The Red Wag Platys we bought looked pretty plump so I/we had the foresight to get one of those net breeders.

This morning, after I fed them, I thought I saw a little swimmer dash across. All said and done, we now have about a dozen lil wags in the protection of the net.

I guess I'll accelerate the plan to get my 29 gallon outta the basement cobwebs! I have repurposed materials to make a decent stand and after a fair amount of work and some paint will likely just need to buy another heater and a hood so I think I can have it up and running for about $60 or so...I can add a nice canister later on (have a new power filter on the 10g now - maybe just a tad small for the 29g).
Only question is whether I use the old UGF I have for the 29g. I think I will and I'll give the fishless cycle (w/raw shrimp) I read about here (although I'll jump start with some gravel bagged from the 10g. The 10g is only technically 2 weeks into cycling because the gravel was in use with the goldfish and merely rinsed well with hot tap (well - no chlorine) water.

Now I was looking ahead for a community tank for the 29g and not really wanting a school of red wags, but my daughter is entranced with the whole idea of raising HER fish.
And so it goes :-)

DKRST 04-01-2011 01:05 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I dusted off my old 29 gallon about 3 month ago. Unfortunately, mine was too old, having been stored and moved across the country for 17 years! After holding up well for 3 months, the bottom let loose last week in my living room. No warning, just popped the seal on the bottom. Saved all the fish, but not a fun cleanup.

Depending on how old your tank is, it might be prudent to re-caulk the seams!

AbbeysDad 04-01-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 636120)
Welcome to the forum!

I dusted off my old 29 gallon about 3 month ago. Unfortunately, mine was too old, having been stored and moved across the country for 17 years! After holding up well for 3 months, the bottom let loose last week in my living room. No warning, just popped the seal on the bottom. Saved all the fish, but not a fun cleanup.

Wow - sorry for your mess!

That's a great idea - a good bead of silicone all around would be time and effort well spent for no worries :)

mcb5522 04-01-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 636120)
Welcome to the forum!

rough, makes me want to get my tank out of my upstairs room, off the carpet and somewhere nice where everyone can see it.

It is brand new but i think i just want a excuse for everyone to see

DKRST 04-01-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 636141)
Wow - sorry for your mess!

That's a great idea - a good bead of silicone all around would be time and effort well spent for no worries :)

Thanks, "fish" happens sometimes....:lol: Make certain you get 100% silicone that has no mildew inhibitors!
Not the first tank I've had empty onto a carpet. Probably won't be the last! At least I own the house and it was the downstairs 29, not the upstairs 55 gallon!

My 55 looks great, but I wanted it where I'd enjoy it. Now everyone goes to the master bedroom to look at the tank when they visit. Got to keep the darn room neat now...

AbbeysDad 04-01-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 636522)
Thanks, "fish" happens sometimes....:lol: Make certain you get 100% silicone that has no mildew inhibitors!
Not the first tank I've had empty onto a carpet. Probably won't be the last! At least I own the house and it was the downstairs 29, not the upstairs 55 gallon!

My 55 looks great, but I wanted it where I'd enjoy it. Now everyone goes to the master bedroom to look at the tank when they visit. Got to keep the darn room neat now...

Oh right..."Would you like to see my big tank in the bedroom?"... You must be single! LOL

DKRST 04-01-2011 09:20 PM

Nope, married with three kids (2 of them teens - ouch!).

Wish I'd thought of that line 25+ years ago! Then again, probably wouldn't have helped me...

AbbeysDad 04-01-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrst (Post 636593)
nope, married with three kids (2 of them teens - ouch!).

Wish i'd thought of that line 25+ years ago! Then again, probably wouldn't have helped me...

lol