Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fishless cycling with "old" shrimp Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fishless-cycling-old-shrimp-question-66645/)

GwenInNM 03-30-2011 05:45 PM

Fishless cycling with "old" shrimp Question

I've set up my 43 gal, and took frozen jumbo shrimp (2) and put them in a mesh bag in the tank, to begin fishless cycling. The bag has never been opened, always frozen, but the expiration date is Oct 2009 - so it is over one year passed expiration. I'm thinking that won't matter, but I want to check. Don't want to make the fish sick when I do put them in after cycling. Does someone know if it matters?

Needless to say, I threw the remaining shrimp away.

Gwen

lorax84 03-30-2011 07:26 PM

it should not be a problem if the shrimp is old. When you do a fishless cycle with any kind of meat the whole point is that the fish begins to break down and release ammonia. The fact that the shrimp is old should only hasten that breakdown. As long as you remove the shrimp before putting any fish in you should not have an issue.

GwenInNM 03-30-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 634296)
it should not be a problem if the shrimp is old. When you do a fishless cycle with any kind of meat the whole point is that the fish begins to break down and release ammonia. The fact that the shrimp is old should only hasten that breakdown. As long as you remove the shrimp before putting any fish in you should not have an issue.

Thank you - makes sense. Can the shrimp stay in there during the whole cycling process, or I guess I would pull it out once the nitrites start to show, and/or my ammonia level is readable???

I guess I need to go and read the fishless cycling info :-D

LasColinasCichlids 03-30-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 634358)
Thank you - makes sense. Can the shrimp stay in there during the whole cycling process, or I guess I would pull it out once the nitrites start to show, and/or my ammonia level is readable???

I guess I need to go and read the fishless cycling info :-D

You would leave the shrimp in through-out the entire cycle so that there is something continuing to break down and put off ammonia as if there were live fish in the tank. Once the nitrites and ammonia read zero, and nitrates begin to grow over a few days, you then remove the shrimp, do a water change, and can add fish.

I am providing the link the the article on here with details of the cycling with shrimp and the other cycling methods.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

GwenInNM 03-31-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 634519)
You would leave the shrimp in through-out the entire cycle so that there is something continuing to break down and put off ammonia as if there were live fish in the tank. Once the nitrites and ammonia read zero, and nitrates begin to grow over a few days, you then remove the shrimp, do a water change, and can add fish.

I am providing the link the the article on here with details of the cycling with shrimp and the other cycling methods.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

Thanks Amanda for giving me that. Do you or have you ever used playsand? I'm so bummed. I rinsed, rinsed and rinsed, and when I put water in the tank it was nice and clear. I ended up buying a new filter and waited for that to come before setting up tank. I took the old water out as it had sat for at least one week as I waited for my filter. Set up the filter and refilled the tank, and it's cloudy!! Could just having a filter pulling in water and putting it out, stir up that much to create cloudiness? I'm wondering if the shrimp could be doing that - but that would have been awful fast. I guess I can only hope that with water changes over time, it will clear. It's not nice looking! :(

LasColinasCichlids 03-31-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 635076)
Thanks Amanda for giving me that. Do you or have you ever used playsand? I'm so bummed. I rinsed, rinsed and rinsed, and when I put water in the tank it was nice and clear. I ended up buying a new filter and waited for that to come before setting up tank. I took the old water out as it had sat for at least one week as I waited for my filter. Set up the filter and refilled the tank, and it's cloudy!! Could just having a filter pulling in water and putting it out, stir up that much to create cloudiness? I'm wondering if the shrimp could be doing that - but that would have been awful fast. I guess I can only hope that with water changes over time, it will clear. It's not nice looking! :(

I have not used any substrate other than gravel (although when I upgrade the smaller tank, I plan on doing sand).
I have heard a lot of issues from others who tried to use playsand. I know traditional aquarium sand (I know, its expensive!) clouds after adding the water but is usually clear within a couple of days using the filter. Make sure the filter intake isnt too close to the sand otherwise sand particles can get into the filter and mess it up. Hopefully more people with more knowledge on the playsand as a substrate can chime in. I will go do some scavenging through TFK for some older threads regarding it and see what I can find for you as far as if its usable or not.