Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Changing tanks, advice please on bacteria transfer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/changing-tanks-advice-please-bacteria-transfer-66620/)

Pufferfish22 03-30-2011 02:23 PM

Changing tanks, advice please on bacteria transfer

My 11 year old daughter keeps guppies and neon tetras, she wnats to move them from their rectangular tank to a biorb, would I be correct doing this:

Putting the new biorb ornaments and ceramic media in the old tank while it's all still running, to colonise with bacteria and placing the filter circle in the back of the tank to get some bacterial growth on it, then transfering 70% of the old water into the biorb and topping up with fresh conditioned water? How long should it take for the bacteria to grow on the new items?

Many thanks for your help

redchigh 03-30-2011 04:08 PM

Is there any way to put the media from the old tank into the new one when it's set up?

That would likely suffice, if so.

Byron 03-30-2011 05:58 PM

I agree. Nitrifying bacteria only live in an aquarium at the level required to handle the ammonia and nitrite. If either increases, the bacteria multiply accordingly; if they decrease, the bacteria die off. Without "food" the bacteria cannot live beyond a few hours.

So putting decor and a filter on an existing tank is unlikely to encourage much of a bacteria colony unless the tank is itself over the limit with excess ammonia and nitrite. Moving objects (wood, rock, decor, filter media, substrate) from an established tank--meaning one that has been running quite a while, not just a few weeks--to the new tank works better. Of course, there has to be a fish or two in the new tank, or again the lack of ammonia.nitrite will cause the transferred bacteria to die off.

Moving the water is not recommended. It contains ammonia and nitrite--and since the bacteria colony in the new tank is small, you don't want to overwhelm it. It also contains liquid waste, pheromones, possibly pathogens, etc. Provided the parameters between tanks is very close (meaning pH, hardness and temperature), "new" water is much better for the fish.

Another thing that will help is using a bacterial supplement. These "seed" the new tank with nitrifying bacteria in exactly the same way as transferring live bacteria. Provided you get one that is 100% live bacteria. I know of two, Tetra's SafeStart and Seachem's Stability. I have used the latter myself. These do not miraculously "cycle" a tank as some think, they merely introduce a colony of live bacteria to get things started faster. Again, you need a source of ammonia, like a fish or two, or these bacteria will also die off.

Byron.

Pufferfish22 03-31-2011 11:55 AM

Thanks for that, am going to put the lava rock pebble things it comes with in my old tank asthese are what you have to use for the bacteria colony in a biorb, along with the central big ornament thingy, leave it a week then add fish, new water to the new tank, use prime and seachem stability and hopefully we'll be safely up and running :-P

Byron 03-31-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pufferfish22 (Post 634777)
Thanks for that, am going to put the lava rock pebble things it comes with in my old tank asthese are what you have to use for the bacteria colony in a biorb, along with the central big ornament thingy, leave it a week then add fish, new water to the new tank, use prime and seachem stability and hopefully we'll be safely up and running :-P

If you transfer over hard objects containing bacteria, and leave them for a week without fish, the bacteria will all be dead. They die within several hours if there is no continual source of ammonia, as from a couple fish. I would put a fish or two in the new tank when you move the items. Or better yet, do it all at once; move the items, add the supplement, and a few fish.

Pufferfish22 03-31-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 634841)
If you transfer over hard objects containing bacteria, and leave them for a week without fish, the bacteria will all be dead. They die within several hours if there is no continual source of ammonia, as from a couple fish. I would put a fish or two in the new tank when you move the items. Or better yet, do it all at once; move the items, add the supplement, and a few fish.

I'll do it all at once, everything together after soaking everything in the old tank with the fish in for a week