Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting requirements for floating cabomba? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/lighting-requirements-floating-cabomba-66614/)

HMlairy 03-30-2011 12:54 PM

Lighting requirements for floating cabomba?

I'm new to having artificial lighting in my 24g and was thinking of adding cabomba but floating.
Because I've never had light tubes before I have no idea what type to get to enable the cabomba to grow.
Any suggestions of types lighting tubes to get etc + please explain the whole way of ranking the bulbs and units of power for them etc.
Please respond, thank you :)

DKRST 03-30-2011 02:30 PM

There are some excellent stickies with information regarding lighting. Look under the aquarium plants section of the forum. Regarding the light, more is not always better. I made that mistake! Too much light=too much algae. What type of light fixture/hood do you currently have or want? That will dictate your lighting options.

Cabomba requires high light and high nutrients. There are several varieties of Cabomba. I have the purple and don't personally recommend it, it takes really high light. Mine does well floating right under my T5HO bulb, but gets spindly looking when planted in the tank. Your best bet is the Cabomba caroliniana, the green cabomba, which takes a little less light. I have grown that successfully in the past. Sometimes it grows, sometimes it won't. There are other stem plants that, for me, also seem to do well floating: Rotalia, Egeria densa (Elodea), etc.

HMlairy 03-30-2011 03:33 PM

That green cabomba is exactly what I have!
And the hood i want is Fish and Fins, uk - Aquarium hoods
The Clear Seal Crown hood 30x12 and it says:
"The hood is capable of housing one full size fluorescent light fitment."
Sound good? Which bulb would you recomend?

DKRST 03-30-2011 04:08 PM

I did a quick search on that hood. You may want to look at the thread: Clear Seal Consort Hoods - Tropical Fish Forums
Since it is a tight-fitting hood and has no pre-cut out openings, what type of filter do you have?

There are multiple sizes of fluorescent tubes. Unfortunately, I'm not positive what a full-size UK fitment represents, sorry! The diameter of the tube is described in eighths of an inch, so a fluorescent lamp 1 inch in diameter (eight eighths) is a T8. Sizes range from T2 to T17. Common sizes in the US are T12, T8, and T5. I have seen more recommendations on this forum for the T8 (1"/2.54cm bulb) than anything else. What diameter is standard in the UK?

HMlairy 03-30-2011 04:36 PM

I have a U2 Fluval internal filter, it does have a wire leading out of it, but i might be able to drill a hole in the lid... Anyway the clearseal hood is the only that will probs fit.
And no idea what the standard size is :/ I'll have a look at the shop

redchigh 03-31-2011 11:15 AM

I would look for "daylight" 6500k flourescent tube. Should be plenty.

IME, cabomba does well with medium - medium low light. The more the better, sure, but it will grow with less.

DKRST 03-31-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 634733)
I would look for "daylight" 6500k flourescent tube. Should be plenty.

IME, cabomba does well with medium - medium low light. The more the better, sure, but it will grow with less.

Yeah, don't worry too much about getting the "perfect" diameter light tube (size-wise). As redchigh accurately pointed out, the kelvin and spectrum of the bulb are the important criteria! My green cabomba grew well under what would now be considered low light and in combination with an under-gravel filter (back in the day before the wheel was invented...:-))