Tropical Fish Keeping banner

aquaclear 500? for 55 gallon cichlid tank... any one use aquaclear 500

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mamatoulouse 
#1 ·
howdy,
have a 55 gallon tank that i plan to use for African Malawi cichlids... a crowded tank... i am wondering if any one has tried these type of filters before?

i was thinking it might be ok but im not sure.... let me know if you have experience with the aquaclear500 thanks

#2 ·
howdy,
have a 55 gallon tank that i plan to use for African Malawi cichlids... a crowded tank... i am wondering if any one has tried these type of filters before?

i was thinking it might be ok but im not sure.... let me know if you have experience with the aquaclear500 thanks

I have an aquaclear 70 on 56 gallon tall tank, and aquaclear 110, on 75 gallon tank.
For cichlid tank,, I would go with the 110 model at 465 gph or thereabouts.
they are excellent filters.

#4 ·
Oh good thanks I was gonna go canister but the aquaclesr seemed like the hob version of a canister... If that makes any sence! Also I was thinking an aditional filter since its gonna be a crowded sfrican cichlid tank... Just not sure what I'm gonna go with
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Oh good thanks I was gonna go canister but the aquaclesr seemed like the hob version of a canister... If that makes any sense! Also I was thinking an aditional filter since its gonna be a crowded sfrican cichlid tank... Just not sure what I'm gonna go with
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, it makes pretty good good sense to me. I have the AquaClear 70 on my fairly new 60g tank and so far it seems to be doing a very good job. I think the canisters have more room for additional media, but it's unclear as to how much bio-media is required before we reach a point of diminishing return. I think I can put enough bio-media in my lowly AC70 HOB to do the job.
Having said the above, I think there's some room for filter redundancy. I cuurently have also have a small AquaTech 5-15 cartridge filter on my 60g. It's there because I have it and because I was thinking that my AC70 would be primarily a bio-filter and the AT5-15 a mechanical filter.
I can't speak to the future...I may add a canister or another HOB - dunno...right now it's looking good as is. :smile:

Reactions: mamatoulouse
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.