Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish Neglecting Brother!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Christople 
#1 ·
I have a little brother, and I gave him my old 15 gallon tank so I could buy a 55 gallon tank so I could house an Oscar. The tank was beautiful, it was amazing, the plants were big and green, a few corys, and a school of 10 black neon tetras. I always kept it very clean, and constatly payed attention to it. Well, my brother is the EXACT OPPOSITE OF ME! He's down to one cory and one tetra in just a period of one month! The plants have no leaves, and they look like they are singed at the end! Its absolutly descusting! He never changes the water eighther! And he always says; "oh, thats okay if one dies! I'll just get a new one!" so I'm going to show this to my brother, and I need people to convince him that fish are not replaceable, and they aren't just decorations, cuz he wont listen to me! :( HEEEELP!
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
This is more of a personal problem. How old is your brother and Just ry to help him. I am the younger brother and he probably looks up to you. Just try to help show him how its done. Get your mom/dad to say that if he shows responsibility That they will get him something that requires responsibility. A carrot for the rabbit if you will.

#3 ·
One option, threaten to take the tank back, if you dont want to keep it setup then move the fish over and dry storage it, otherwise it might make a nice quarantine tank.

If he doesn't want to take care of it then take it off his hands chances are he will just put up a minor fight about it as hes realized its more work then he wanted.

#4 ·
the point of neglection is he won't work on it. I got a couple of cories my self and getting more but the last one had pop eye. soooooooo On saturday... a day after they get there fish

#5 ·
My hubby will tell me I am Micheal Vick of fish when I lose a fish...I hate it, and I take care of my fish, but it definately makes me encouraged to continue taking care of my fish as needs to be done...not like I ever didnt though.

Have you tried asking your parents to get involved?

#6 ·
Okay, well thanks so much for the advice! My brother is very stuborn... He claims that he has done everything right, but i tested the water myself and it is an 8.5. My mom decided that from now on, he's not getting any more fish! So he has one left.. That poor cory... It was the first one I got.. I want to take him but I think Ozzy would take it as a snack, of corse, at this point in his life he is never full! I cant keep up! I stood there for ten minutes yesterday giving him pellets!
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Okay, well thanks so much for the advice! My brother is very stuborn... He claims that he has done everything right, but i tested the water myself and it is an 8.5. My mom decided that from now on, he's not getting any more fish! So he has one left.. That poor cory... It was the first one I got.. I want to take him but I think Ozzy would take it as a snack, of corse, at this point in his life he is never full! I cant keep up! I stood there for ten minutes yesterday giving him pellets!
Posted via Mobile Device

I didn't know it was possible to make an Oscar full. When my brother kept Oscars they would go for food so fast he would end up with a puddle on the floor from the splashing. My mom (notorious pet spoiler) would feed them 3 times a day and every time they were just as hungry as before.

#8 ·
I also have a pet spoiler and it is my granny. She feeds my fish when I aren't there and when I am asks if I feed them. She also killed a gold fish named Mr. Takahashi with have the food I had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.