Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   cories (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cories-6655/)

chancehall 06-23-2007 07:18 PM

cories

hi i just got my first cory it is a bronze cory, i just want to know is there a way to tell what they are(male or female) i want to know so i can get more and breed them

aquathena 06-23-2007 08:15 PM

I have two Albino Corydoras myself and I've been searching around information sites with the same question. From what I can gather, it is very difficult to determine the gender of these fish. I guess your best bet is to buy a couple more of them and hope that there are at least one male and one female.

chancehall 06-23-2007 09:26 PM

ok thanks

leifthebunny 06-24-2007 08:31 PM

As they mature, female cories will get rounder.

As for getting more cories, that's usually a good idea as they are a schooling fish, make sure they are the same type (ie: pandas and bronze don't tend to school together). Plus, the more you have in a school, the more entertaining they are to watch. :)

Falina 06-25-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny

As for getting more cories, that's usually a good idea as they are a schooling fish, make sure they are the same type (ie: pandas and bronze don't tend to school together). Plus, the more you have in a school, the more entertaining they are to watch. :)

Not to contradict as I have read, and heard so many times that different types do NOT school together, however, I have a group of albinos, bronze, peppered and another type and they do all school together. I think however that my case is the exception.

Depending of course on your tank size I would recommend at least 6 cories of one type, if your tank permits getting a group of 2 different types would be a beautiful sight IMHO.

aquathena 06-25-2007 01:10 PM

I love my Albino Corydoras and definitely plan on getting, at the very least, one more. I would like a large group of them, however. They're the most interesting fish I have ever seen in my life!

leifthebunny 06-25-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie
Quote:

Not to contradict as I have read, and heard so many times that different types do NOT school together, however, I have a group of albinos, bronze, peppered and another type and they do all school together. I think however that my case is the exception.

Maybe I should send my peppered and bronze to your tank for some refresher courses. :P Mine don't school together and sometimes, for a while, my green laser cories wouldn't school with the bronze even thought hey are both aeneus. Now they do more often since one of the gl cories died, but it's not a continuous thing like the pair of bronze.

aquathena 06-25-2007 07:50 PM

Oh, that's a shame. I wanted to get a Green Corydora but now I'm worried that it won't school with the Albinos.

Coryologist 06-25-2007 08:02 PM

Green Lasers

Quote:

Maybe I should send my peppered and bronze to your tank for some refresher courses. :P Mine don't school together and sometimes, for a while, my green laser cories wouldn't school with the bronze even thought hey are both aeneus. Now they do more often since one of the gl cories died, but it's not a continuous thing like the pair of bronze.

Greetings. It is believed that the Green Lasers are not a variant of C. aeneus, but a distinct specie in their own right. Anyone who has attempted to spawn this specie, will more than likely concur with that belief. - Frank

tophat665 06-26-2007 06:09 AM

On Sexing Cories: It's really hard to describe beyond females are plumper, but it's falling off a log easy when you actually look at a half dozen in the same tank together to tell which are male and which are female.