Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   jewel cichlid info please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/jewel-cichlid-info-please-66498/)

fryup 03-29-2011 03:38 AM

jewel cichlid info please

can anyone plaese give me any info that u may have on JEWEL CICHLIDS??? breeding, fereding, size , how to sex ....thank you

:):):)

LasColinasCichlids 03-29-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryup (Post 632565)
can anyone plaese give me any info that u may have on JEWEL CICHLIDS??? breeding, fereding, size , how to sex ....thank you

:):):)

Here is what I know about them...

They are African Cichlids

Size: usually around 5-6 inches (ocassionally up to 8 inches with the right conditions and tank size)

pH: 6.5-7.5

They like to dig and can disrupt plants

It is said to be difficult to find a pair that will happily mate. These guys can get especially nasty when spawning, as most cichlids do. They lay their eggs on a flat rock (around 500), and then the male will come along and fertalize them immediately. The parents guard the eggs, and the fry (fry hatch in 2-4 days). They have a rep for being bad parents, but there is mixed reviews on it. It is said however that if you remove all the fry from the parents (fry should be at least 1/2 inch to remove), that the parents can get extremely aggressive and even kill each other. I dont know any of that for sure, as I never breed them, that is just info from research. They are also monogomous breeding pairs though. MUST have PLENTY of room or be the only fish in the tank because they are fierce protectors of their eggs and fry!!! Some say they will even attack your finger if you stick it in the tank during this time.

Sexing them is pretty difficult. It is said that the males are slightly more brightly colored than females, and that sometimes a male will have a more pointed anal fin.

Jewel Cichlids are also notorious fin nippers, and with all cichlids, tankmates should be considered carefully. A good fish for a speices tank.

As far as food goes, a quality cichlid pellet and they will gladly accept live foods.

Tank size is said to be okay as small as 30 US Gallons...but in my opinion, these fish deserve at least a 45-60 US Gallons, especially if you are considering breeding.

mamatoulouse 03-30-2011 01:37 AM

you should look at their vents... for sexing..
there are a few tutorials on it on line... could be useful
i live jewel cichlids they are pretty

bearwithfish 03-30-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 632954)
Here is what I know about them...

They are African Cichlids

Size: usually around 5-6 inches (ocassionally up to 8 inches with the right conditions and tank size)

pH: 6.5-7.5

They like to dig and can disrupt plants

It is said to be difficult to find a pair that will happily mate. These guys can get especially nasty when spawning, as most cichlids do. They lay their eggs on a flat rock (around 500), and then the male will come along and fertalize them immediately. The parents guard the eggs, and the fry (fry hatch in 2-4 days). They have a rep for being bad parents, but there is mixed reviews on it. It is said however that if you remove all the fry from the parents (fry should be at least 1/2 inch to remove), that the parents can get extremely aggressive and even kill each other. I dont know any of that for sure, as I never breed them, that is just info from research. They are also monogomous breeding pairs though. MUST have PLENTY of room or be the only fish in the tank because they are fierce protectors of their eggs and fry!!! Some say they will even attack your finger if you stick it in the tank during this time.

Sexing them is pretty difficult. It is said that the males are slightly more brightly colored than females, and that sometimes a male will have a more pointed anal fin.

Jewel Cichlids are also notorious fin nippers, and with all cichlids, tankmates should be considered carefully. A good fish for a speices tank.

As far as food goes, a quality cichlid pellet and they will gladly accept live foods.

Tank size is said to be okay as small as 30 US Gallons...but in my opinion, these fish deserve at least a 45-60 US Gallons, especially if you are considering breeding.

this is great info.... i have Jewels and can say with certainty that once you get a breeding pair be ready for some MAJOR aggression issues... they take turns caring for the young and beating up anything else in the tank.....