Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Angel Fish Eggs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/angel-fish-eggs-66492/)

Backer 03-29-2011 12:30 AM

Angel Fish Eggs?

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I have two paired off angels (I think, they were the two LEAST aggressive towards each other of four originally, so I got rid of the other two) and just today I noticed what looks like eggs on the leaves of one of my Anubias. I have attached pictures to see if you guys could confirm it for me. I also noticed the Angels were hanging out only on that side of the tank near theses leaves and NO other fish was going around them. Also, I noticed one Angel had protruding sex organs, but I do not know if it is male or female, I will attach pictures of that as well. (bear with me it was hard to capture)

If this IS Angel eggs, what can I do to help them hatch/survive? I don't really care too much if they all just get eaten, but it would be fun to try to get some to live. I don't have a separate tank I could separate them into. I also have ZERO experience breeding fish. This was entirely accidental. LOL

Thanks for any and all advice,

LisaC144 03-29-2011 11:14 AM

Congrats! Those certainly are Angelfish eggs. The sex organ hanging is called the papilla. This is where the eggs come out of the female and where the male fertilizes the eggs. The only true way to tell male from female is to catch them spawning. The other fish are not going near the eggs because the parents are closely protecting them. There is a good chance with other fish in the tank will eat the eggs overnight, but I've had eggs complete the7 day cycle and reach the free swimming stage in a community tank. All fry were gone within 48 hours of free-swimming. Once free-swimming it is difficult for the parents to protect all the fry.

Backer 03-29-2011 11:49 AM

Perfect. That is all I needed too know. Thank you very much. I'm pretty excited :) even if they might not mAke it all the way to maturity

LisaC144 03-29-2011 11:59 AM

I agree. It is very entertaining to watch. If you observe for a while, you'll see the male and female alternating turns fanning the eggs with their fins. This is to keep water flowing through the eggs so they don't fungus. Just to let you know, over the next 48 hours you will see some eggs turn white. The parents will eat those eggs, as the white eggs means they weren't fertilized.

Backer 03-29-2011 12:24 PM

Thank you lots! That's really good info. Cuz this happened before but they were all white. I actually rubbed them off the leave cuz I thought it was from my snail lol sweet. Thanks again.

LisaC144 03-29-2011 12:32 PM

As new parents, sometimes the male doesn't fertilize the eggs or the parents eat them as soon as they are laid. Once they spawn a few times, they seem to 'get it'. Good luck with your Angels!

Backer 03-29-2011 01:38 PM

Same to you!