Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Zebra Danio fry question! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/zebra-danio-fry-question-66481/)

Lisalis 03-28-2011 09:43 PM

Zebra Danio fry question!

I recently have had my zebra danios spawn successfully! I quarantined about 10 gallons of my 30 gallon long during my weekly water change last week. I have tons of larvae and eggs still but all the free swimming babies are M.I.A....are they hiding or did they slip through the cracks and get eaten....lol! Anyways I did see one free swimming yesterday about the length of an eyelash! So fast!!!! LOL If anyone is able to give advice I would appreciate it!!
**bubble wand in with eggs and fry~good idea or should I move it??

I just took these readings. API strips

GH: ~60
KH: ~20
pH: 6.8
NO2: 0
NO3:10
Temp. 78 F - Yes they spawned on the end of the tank away from the heater! LOL
Penguin Bio Wheel 150
150W Heater
Flourescent lighting?
I have Hikari First Bites. I feed them a pinch in the morning and in the evening. I have baby grass, rocks/cave and a plant in there and I have no idea how many are in there!!

trit0n2003 03-28-2011 09:58 PM

Congrats! i always get excited seeing my fish spawning and try to save as many eggs/ live birth's i can.

BUT, its going to be difficult to raise those babies in the main tank, they will easily sneak through to the other side cause they are SO tiny and get eaten, and the tank water can possibly kill them since fry are very easily killed by bad water.

If you want to breed them the best way is to set up their own tank and drop a couple of males and females into it to breed then you can remove them and raise the young in a bare tank and they will have no predators and you can control the water quality very well.

here is an example :D ive done it liek this and other ways.

Lisalis 03-28-2011 10:11 PM

Awesome Idea!!!

Thank you for the advice!! I have a 10 gallon cycled with the main tanks filter material so they literaly have the same parameters except the nitrate is 0...I see what you mean about the main tank.

Would vacuuming them into the other tank kill them? I just bought a new tank vaccum, Its adjustable so you can turn the force of the vaccuum down???? Any thoughts?????

Lisalis 03-28-2011 10:15 PM

Also just curious...why only half full on the tanks?

Lisalis 03-28-2011 10:34 PM

Zebra Danio Nursery...

5 Attachment(s)
Any advice would be much appreciated :)

amazon21 03-28-2011 10:57 PM

Do not vacuum them, the best way to transfer them (i think) would be to take a brine shrimp net and catch them and put them into a jar (so they don't stay out of the water too long) and then into the other tank. The tanks were half full, because a lower water level made it harder for the danio parents to eat their eggs.

Lisalis 03-29-2011 10:01 AM

All I see are larvae...

I am so ready to throw in the towel...and just stick my pregnant female with a couple males in the bare tank and then take them back out after they spawn!

trit0n2003 03-29-2011 11:16 AM

Get the mesh screen like the video I showed, it works well and you'll maximize the number of eggs you have left.

Or Try the marble method, setup a bare tank with marbles as the substrate so the eggs fall in between the large marbles but the parents can't get to them.

Either way will work.

OH, and if you don't have a sponge filter, just cut a car sponge to size and stick it on the end of your hang on back filter's intake. This will make it fry safe. :)

I'm actually thinking of breeding something soon myself for fun, im hoping my angels will pair up soon and I'll give them a shot. But I'll probably do some zebra danios or cherry barbs cause I have them at breeding size in my community tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lisalis 03-30-2011 06:35 PM

COOL! Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try the screen method. I keep seeing larvae but no more swimmers :(

My female is so engorged she looks like she swallowed a marble!

redchigh 03-31-2011 12:53 PM

I'd get some bbs or microworms to feed them as well.