Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Case of Ich? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/case-ich-66410/)

lindsayletcher 03-28-2011 12:15 AM

Case of Ich?

I have a guppy that has white bumps all over her. Kind of like grains of salt. At first I thought it was because she was swimming under all the bubbles, but now I notice a few of the other guppies and a black tetra has the same spots. I'm pretty sure it's an outbreak to all the fish. Can salt remedy this disease or do I need to go to the petstore and pic up some medication? Anything else I should do? I don't have a camera, otherwise I'd take a picture. But it does look like grains of salt all over the body. Help please!

Tank: 26 gallons
The tank is nearing the end of the cycling stage so there is some A/N/N present but not lethal levels.
5 cherry barbs, 9 guppies, 2 black tetras, 4 neon tetras, 4 panda corys

thewatson27 03-28-2011 01:47 AM

Ich

It definitely sounds like ich which I'm currently battling. Some fish can tolerate salinity up to 1.008 but others are super sensitive so I would research each individual fish's tolerance. I'd suggest slowly raising your temperature a few degrees per day until you hit about 85F because it will speed up the ich cycle.
Ichthyophthirius multifilis - The Aquarium Fish Disease Ichthyophthirius multifilis or Ich
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...what-do-65496/

I'm currently doing a daily 25% water change and using ridich but I did lose my clown loach yesterday so I don't think ridich is the way to go.

Bluebirdnanny 03-28-2011 06:29 PM

What causes Ich? I have never had that. I have SEEN it but not in my tanks.

I do fight overfeeding, lots of water changes to keep ammonia down and algae.

lindsayletcher 03-29-2011 11:05 AM

I've been raising the temp very slowly. It was at 24C and now i'm at 28C. Pretty sure that the fish I got from a petstore had ich. The tank seemed fine when I got it but it appeared a few days after I put her in. But i'm not really sure because their tanks looked clean and all their fish healthy.
I'm also battling a a/n/n rise too. We will see if my fish make it through alive. I'm doing small water changes daily, and medicating them with an ich treatment my normal petstore says is good.

Not sure what causes ich.

lindsayletcher 03-30-2011 08:15 PM

I've now lost 4 fish to ich. 2 panda cory's, 1 guppy, and 1 cherry barb. It's only been 48 hours.

thewatson27 03-30-2011 10:49 PM

I was hoping someone more educated than I would post on here but you need to go buy some form of ich medication and start treatment immediately.

lindsayletcher 03-30-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewatson27 (Post 634520)
I was hoping someone more educated than I would post on here but you need to go buy some form of ich medication and start treatment immediately.

Treatment was started 48 hours ago, but my fish just keep dying. Using a treatment called coppersafe. Also raised the tank temp slowly.
Posted via Mobile Device

sik80 03-31-2011 07:43 AM

I'd suggest that the ammonia and nitrites that are still in the tank are stressing the fish's immune systems making them prone to ich. Even if the levels are non-lethal they are likely to stress the fish

Unfortunately you have put way too many fish in too soon if the tank is not cycled. Ideally fish should be added slowly over a period of weeks or months, after the tank has cycled.

Regular large water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrities under control are as important as ich treatment IMO

lindsayletcher 03-31-2011 10:03 AM

I definitely agree that I put too many fish in too fast. I'm still doing water changes.

Now i'm paying for that mistake. Poor fishies :(

thewatson27 04-05-2011 12:19 AM

aw that sucks, I'm sorry. My ich was won but it took two weeks, fourteen water changes, one dead clown loach, and a whole bottle of RidIch.Let all your fishies chill, keep treating and water changing and eventually the ich will die. Then wait like six weeks and keep a proper eye on tank pars, once everything seems kosher get a couple good fish friends, hardy as all get out in the numbers they like to live in, and sit back/relax because the war was won. Good luck!