Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Farlowella amazonum (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/farlowella-amazonum-66392/)

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 03-27-2011 08:31 PM

Farlowella amazonum

Does anyone have any experience keeping this catfish? I am looking in to adding one to my tank but cannot find anywhere that sells these. Its common name is Amazon whiptail catfish.

rnsheehan21 03-27-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 631097)
Does anyone have any experience keeping this catfish? I am looking in to adding one to my tank but cannot find anywhere that sells these. Its common name is Amazon whiptail catfish.

They just had an article about the Whiptails in the tropical fish magazine in this past months issue. Very informative.

The Weird and Wonderful World of Whiptails (Full Article) | Freshwater | Feature Articles | TFH Magazine

sik80 03-28-2011 06:25 AM

I know byron keeps a farlowella species as he had a thread about them spawning

I have a whiptail cat of a species I've never been able to definitively identify. He's a pretty cool fish and appears to 'walk' using his pectoral fins along the substrate. I'm lucky he's stayed small - 10-15cm and isn't one of the bigger species

Byron 03-30-2011 04:27 PM

You mention "Farlowella" in the title, and "Whiptail" in the post. These are two very different fish. Both are in the fish profiles, click the shaded name to see them:
Whiptail Catfish
Twig Catfish

I have both, and have had them for many years. And as someone mentinoed, my Farlowella spawned last summer. I authored both profiles, so you'll probably find all you want there, but if not, just ask.

The above species are admirably suited to community tanks. But both have larger (much larger) cousins that are less desirable unless you have a very large tank.

Byron.

aunt kymmie 03-30-2011 10:38 PM

I keep a whiptail catfish and I just love him! He's super peaceful and constantly grazing. He's definitely a very cool fish, you should get one if you can find one.

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 03-31-2011 03:42 PM

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Spec...y.php?id=50538 This is what I am looking for. It looks like a Twig Catfish but all the websites I find call it Farlowella amazonum

lorax84 03-31-2011 04:25 PM

Here is the planet catfish article on Farlowella Amazonum.

Farlowella amazonum • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

Although there is not a ton of info there. As far as availability goes I have seen Fralowella Acus and Gracilis for sale in stores and online, but never an Amazonum so they may not be widely available. There are two list keepers on the Planet Catfish page, you may be able to contact them to find someone who has this fish.

Byron 04-01-2011 12:42 PM

All Farlowella species are commonly referred to as Twig Catfish. If you read our profile of Farlowella vittata, the most commonly-seen species in stores, it mentions that there are some 30 known species in the genus, of which only 2 are imported with any degree of regularity.

Finding F. amazonum would be most likely if you have a dealer locally who imports direct from South America, or online from an importer. The availability is likely to be seasonal, depending upon the origin which seems to be Brazil (Tocantins and Lower Amazon regions are in Brazil). Brazil now has laws restricting fish collection to specific seasons in order to ensure sustainability of the species.

Byron.

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 04-01-2011 05:45 PM

I will probably get 1 or 2 Farlowella vittata when I go to my lfs tomorrow because they usually have a couple. Will they get along with my Gold Nugget Pleco? I have plenty of hiding spots and driftwood for them to nibble on.

Byron 04-01-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 636365)
I will probably get 1 or 2 Farlowella vittata when I go to my lfs tomorrow because they usually have a couple. Will they get along with my Gold Nugget Pleco? I have plenty of hiding spots and driftwood for them to nibble on.

I cannot recommend this. The Gold Nugget Pleco is highly territorial to all benthic species. The Farlowella are very sedate, extremely peaceful fish; if any fish pesters them they become highly stressed and may even refuse to eat.

Plus, the Farlowella must have algae when introduced to an aquarium or they may starve. They will always be wild caught unless you have a local breeder. The GNP also eats algae and other foods, but if he is "happy" eating algae this will lead to conflicts as well as feeding problems for the Farlowella.

I have had 3 F. vittata in my flooded Amazon tank for 2 years now, and they have spawned several times (one male and two females as it turned out). I have never seen anything consume algae like they do, only the common green algae or diatoms (brown), but they are thorough. You won't want other algae-eating fish in with a couple of Farlowella. The three surviving fry [they are very difficult to raise, needing fresh algae] are in the 10g and they keep it spotless of algae, though they are weaned onto sinking tablets and disks now as well.

Byron.