Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How long are you supposed to keep light on in tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-long-you-supposed-keep-light-66389/)

ruby716 03-27-2011 09:12 PM

How long are you supposed to keep light on in tank?
 
Hi everyone, I have a 2.5 gallon tank, and was wondering how long I should have the light on for. I had the tank for a little over a month already, and about 3 1/2 weeks into the filter, it turned bright greenish which is obviously algae. It didn't affect my ammonia or nitrite or anything, but I was wondering if it's bad that the filter media changed that color. I just changed the filter about 5 days ago, and it has bright green on it again. Is that bad? I usually leave the light on for about 12 hours a day.

GwenInNM 03-27-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby716 (Post 631080)
Hi everyone, I have a 2.5 gallon tank, and was wondering how long I should have the light on for. I had the tank for a little over a month already, and about 3 1/2 weeks into the filter, it turned bright greenish which is obviously algae. It didn't affect my ammonia or nitrite or anything, but I was wondering if it's bad that the filter media changed that color. I just changed the filter about 5 days ago, and it has bright green on it again. Is that bad? I usually leave the light on for about 12 hours a day.

I don't know much about algae, as I've been lucky not to have it yet. Do you have live plants? 12 hours is too long to leave your light on. I think 8-10 hours is sufficient, much more and you'll get that green stuff. I don't think it will harm anything, and removing your filter will only make your tank go into a mini-cycle. Rinse your filter in tank water and put back, rather than replace.

sik80 03-28-2011 07:33 AM

What filter do you have?

Also, do you have live plants in the tank?

How many fish?

Algae can appear for a number of reasons, excess light being one of them. I'd reduce you light to 8-10hrs per day - if you don't already have one get a cheap timer plug from a hardware store, which allows you to set the time the light goes on and off precisely.

Romad 03-28-2011 09:06 AM

+1 on the timer. You can do 4 hours in the morning and then 4 hours at night.

Christople 03-28-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 631128)
I don't know much about algae, as I've been lucky not to have it yet. Do you have live plants? 12 hours is too long to leave your light on. I think 8-10 hours is sufficient, much more and you'll get that green stuff. I don't think it will harm anything, and removing your filter will only make your tank go into a mini-cycle. Rinse your filter in tank water and put back, rather than replace.

But shouldn't people change the carbon? and the big media.

stevenjohn21 03-28-2011 11:34 AM

I dont use carbon unless i have treated my tank and im wanting rid of the meds. Carbon lasts about 3 days if your lucky so its not worth it. I just stuff filter floss and bio balls in my canister filters and for my HOB filters i make them myself and stuff with filter floss.

Christople 03-28-2011 12:48 PM

really/ I have always wasted money on carbon. I put it in every month.

ruby716 03-28-2011 02:21 PM

2.5 gallon, mini bow filter and cartridge, 15 watt bulb.. 2 fancy tail guppies & 2 white cloud minnows and 1 ghost shrimp

i changed the filter once so far but i cleaned it off first and soaked it in aqaurium water b4 i changed it

Byron 03-28-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 631662)
really/ I have always wasted money on carbon. I put it in every month.

If there are live plants in the aquarium, you do'nt need carbon. Carbon will remove some trace elements that the plants can better use. Also, live plants do a better job than carbon on the bad stuff too, they can take up toxic substances.

Carbon may have a purpose in non-planted tanks, although there are many knowledgeable members here who would even say no to that. A balanced fish/volume level, regular good maintenance, not overfeeding--nature should then be able to take care of things herself.

Byron.

ruby716 03-28-2011 02:23 PM

I don't have any live plants... you can go on the photo and video part of this site and see my fish and tank


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2