Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Need help with starter fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/need-help-starter-fish-66356/)

Boredomb 03-27-2011 02:39 PM

Need help with starter fish?

Okay I was wondering what fish would be good to start off when cycling a new planted tank? I eventually want to house Angelfish in this tank. This is only tank I have soo the started fish would need to be good tank mates for the angelfish when they come along. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any and all sugguestions!!

Jenna28 03-27-2011 05:20 PM

I have had excellent luck using Cherry Barbs to cycle a new tank. They would be good mates for Angelfish, which can be slightly aggressive. They should be purchased in groups of 5 or more, since they are schooling fish.

Good luck with the new tank!

Boredomb 03-27-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna28 (Post 630880)
I have had excellent luck using Cherry Barbs to cycle a new tank. They would be good mates for Angelfish, which can be slightly aggressive. They should be purchased in groups of 5 or more, since they are schooling fish.

Good luck with the new tank!

the cherry barbs in a group 5 ? I know angelfish needs to be atleast 5 they r going into a 55 gallon tank
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenna28 03-27-2011 06:21 PM

Oh, sorry, now that I see what I wrote, I realize how that might be confusing. Yes, the barbs need to be in groups of 5 or 6 minimum (ideally with an equal number of males and females, otherwise the males will chase the female around and stress her out).

Boredomb 03-27-2011 07:34 PM

Okay thanks just one more question how do you tell the difference between male and female in the cherry barbs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 03-27-2011 07:46 PM

Okay Soo I just Googled Cherry Barbs (couldn't find a profile on it here?) Soo basically the coloring and size is the difference right? Btw Thanks for the suggestion with cherry barbs they are neat looking fsh like the coloring also!

Mikaila31 03-27-2011 08:11 PM

Cherry barbs are not recommended with angel fish due to their habit of fin nipping. As far as your tank goes you should be fully planted or do a fishless cycle.

Angelfish are not very aggressive at all, except amongst themselves. And 5 angels is a lot for permanent stocking in a 55 gallon.

Boredomb 03-27-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 631079)
Cherry barbs are not recommended with angel fish due to their habit of fin nipping. As far as your tank goes you should be fully planted or do a fishless cycle.

Angelfish are not very aggressive at all, except amongst themselves. And 5 angels is a lot for permanent stocking in a 55 gallon.

Okay? I have been told that 5 is the number I need for that size tank. If 5 is a lot then how many would be good for that size tank?

The tank is empty right now well has substrate and some driftwood in it. It has been running for almost 2 days as of right now with a carbon pad soo I could get the tannin color out going to take that pad out tomorrow and I will be getting my plants (40 of them total) I am hoping on wednesday. Plan on planting the tank then. If Cherry barbs are bad cause of fin nipping could you tell me some good fish mates to have in the tank with the Angelfish Please?

Christople 03-27-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

against other cichlids some aggression will be shown.

Jenna28 03-27-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Mikaila- please see my correction above, I suggested 5 cherry barbs, not 5 angelfish.

The cherry barbs don't get too nippy as long as they are kept in an appropriately sized group (about 5 or 6 minimum).