Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   White deposits in my aquarium... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/white-deposits-my-aquarium-66352/)

desico 03-27-2011 01:44 PM

White deposits in my aquarium...

1 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping someone out there can help me figure out what is going on in my tank.

I have a well established:
125 gallon freshwater aquarium
pH=8.0
KH=130ppm
GH=280ppm
running CO2 because it's a planted aquarium

I have this white dusty, slightly gritty deposit on everything. I can wipe most of it off my plants. Some of it seems stuck on. It's almost like the calcium/lime deposit you get at the top of the tank only it's everywhere.

Has anyone ever experienced this or know how to remedy it? I think it has something to do with my really hard water but not sure why. I tested water straight from my tap this morning and the GH & KH are identical to the tank water.

Thanks!

Thoth 03-27-2011 04:42 PM

What kind of plants are having the problem?

desico 03-27-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 630831)
What kind of plants are having the problem?

It's not just on the plants. It's on the rocks and the glass as well so it's not really a plant problem. It's more a water problem.

SinCrisis 03-28-2011 06:19 PM

Did you have large calcium/lime deposits on the tank before you filled it? It might be that parts of it are dissolving and falling off, causing it to land on your plants. Run a polishing pad in your filter, see if that helps.

desico 03-28-2011 06:26 PM

I found this on another planted aquarium forum. The person sounds like they had the same thing as what I have (only I have it on the rocks and glass as well) - they figure it's lime scale below is a response that they received:

"This is called biogenic decalcification. Certain plants (like Egeria, Najas, Vallisneria, and Ceratophyllum) are capable of utilizing the bicarbonate ion as a carbon source. They take in bicarbonate, HCO3-, keep the CO2, and leave behind OH-. In strong light, enough alkalinity is created at the leaf surface to precipitate calcium carbonate, CaCO3. This process can also raise the pH up to potentially dangerous levels."

Has anyone heard of this? What do I do? I'm going to check my pH tomorrow (I just did a 50% water change yesterday).

SinCrisis: the tank had some limescale around the top but I try to clean it off as best I can every week when I change the water. I don't think it's falling from there - I don't see much in the water itself just on everything... I'll try the polishing pad though, just in case. I also thought I might get some peat pellets to put in my filter and see if I can soften the water somewhat.