Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Kribensis Eggs Missing (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/kribensis-eggs-missing-66336/)

stevenjohn21 03-27-2011 09:13 AM

Kribensis Eggs Missing

I bought a pair of proven Kribensis at an auction last Sunday, they are in a 30 gallon tank with 4 male platys (dither fish) On Friday i had noticed on the top of their cave i had around 60 orange color eggs.

Today i wake up to find only 2 orange eggs ! The Kribs are still guarding that cave but are venturing out a little more than they usually did since Friday. Have they eaten the eggs ? I doubt the platys have because they wont go near the cave even when a piece of food floats nearby, they stop suddenly and turn away.

I know that when the eggs hatch they are not free swimming for about 10 days, so what is the stage in between hatching and free swimming ? Do they just sit in the substrate and bury themselves ?

stevenjohn21 03-27-2011 06:51 PM

*bump*

Christople 03-27-2011 08:42 PM

do you have any bottom fish? I have some kribs and they haven't bred yet but I have bred rams and pretty much every time they were eaten.

stevenjohn21 03-27-2011 08:50 PM

No bottom fish just the Platys, but like i said they are too scared to venture anywhere near the kribs cave. Im guessing they are new to breeding as its common for them to eat the 1st few spawns. . . Kind of sucks though because i thought with buying a "proven pair" they were past that stage , i guess not :-(

Christople 03-27-2011 08:53 PM

At least your kribs are breeding. Mine are to small to breed.

stevenjohn21 03-27-2011 09:39 PM

At this rate yours will be breeding by the time mine realise their not suppose to eat the eggs ! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Christople 03-27-2011 09:47 PM

I don't know about that. They keep chasing each other. I have 1 male and 3 females. He chases all of the females pretty much when ever he sees them. The females don't have pink bellies yet and he is about 1 1/2 inches bigger then them. Do you think He is ready but the females aren't and he is angry. I wonder if there is a auction near me. How much did you pay for them.

stevenjohn21 03-27-2011 10:06 PM

Did you buy them at the same time ? Reason i ask is because if he was already in the tank before the others then he will be guarding "his tank" if you bought them all together it might be his way of choosing one. I do know the male will generally pick the biggest,brightest and strongest female. So he might be "testing" them out if that makes sense.

I bought my pair for $5, the previous owner had left a note on the bag when i bought them and said they last spawned 11th March ,
they then spawned for me 25th March so im hoping that is the last time they eat the eggs, since its rare they will eat them the 3rd/4th time.

Christople 03-27-2011 10:12 PM

I bought a m/f not mated pair a couple days before i got two females because I thought I had two males and decided to get two females. I took the pair to my lfs to sex them and they said m/f. So at the same trip I bought two females. 5 dollars is very cheap where did you get them.

stevenjohn21 03-27-2011 10:21 PM

Oh ok, so they are all new to the tank, they maybe just getting used to the tank and the male is marking his terrortory. As long as he is not injuring them i wouldnt worry just yet, hopefully it will stop soon and the Male will pair with one. I am a member of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association and they have an aquarium auction every month, you find some great fish at good prices.