Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Is this normal? (Albino Corydora) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/normal-albino-corydora-6630/)

aquathena 06-22-2007 05:23 PM

Is this normal? (Albino Corydora)

I tried doing research so that I wouldn't have to bother anyone with my silly questions, but I'm concerned for the new fish that I just bought earlier this morning. They're two baby Albino Corydoras, each about an inch long, and they seem really healthy. Neither of them have fins that are clamped or torn and they both eagerly scavenge around for food, but one of them has a problem with its left eye. There's no pupil. It looks like it has its eye closed all the time.

Although I have read about how some Albino Corydoras may be blind, but it seems to see fine out of its right eye. What does this mean? Should I be worried? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

mHeinitz57 06-22-2007 10:07 PM

albino corys...as well as many albino animals, naturally have red eyes. Its part of the genetics that goes with being albino. I've had albino cories and all of them looked like they didn't have any pupils. I wouldnt worry about it unless you see abnormal behavior or unusual swelling. Sounds normal though.

aquathena 06-22-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeinitz57
albino corys...as well as many albino animals, naturally have red eyes. Its part of the genetics that goes with being albino. I've had albino cories and all of them looked like they didn't have any pupils. I wouldnt worry about it unless you see abnormal behavior or unusual swelling. Sounds normal though.

Thank you! I'm glad that's it's nothing I have to be concerned about. I'll keep an eye on the Corydora but it's a good thing that it should be okay. Thanks again.

aquathena 06-24-2007 03:35 AM

If there is anyone who is still reading this thread, would you happen to know how much salt I can put in a 40 gallon tank? I know that Corydoras are very sensitive to it, but I also have several Livebearers. Any suggestions on the amount? Please let me know.

mHeinitz57 06-25-2007 09:05 AM

livebearers don't technically NEED salt but if you want to just go half the dosage or something (about 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons instead of per 5 gallons), you could do that. In my opinion cories aren't THAT sensitive to it though. We keep our tanks at the store at around .20 and they do great.

aquathena 06-25-2007 01:01 PM

Oh! I see. Thanks very much. It must be nice to work at a pet store, you seem to know alot about how to care for fish. Thanks again!

Falina 06-25-2007 01:12 PM

What fish do you have? Are the livebearers the only reason you were going to add salt? If so I'd recommend not to bother. They will do just fine without it and some fish can be a bit sensitive to salt - the salt would restrict other fish that you may wish to put in at a later stage.

aquathena 06-25-2007 01:15 PM

I mostly have Platies, so you're probably right. I'll stay away from the aquarium salt. Thanks for the advice. My Corydoras are definitely my favorites and I would hate to hurt them in any way.

Falina 06-25-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquathena
I mostly have Platies, so you're probably right. I'll stay away from the aquarium salt. Thanks for the advice. My Corydoras are definitely my favorites and I would hate to hurt them in any way.

My cories are my favourites as well - such a brillliant little fish! :D

aquathena 06-25-2007 07:47 PM

They really are! I'm surprised at how much I really enjoy watching them rummage around for food. I'm planning on getting at least one more. I would have liked a large group but I'm afraid I don't have the room!