Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help with my sucker fish nose injury (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-my-sucker-fish-nose-injury-66173/)

tonybb 03-25-2011 03:35 PM

help with my sucker fish nose injury

hello everyone. im in frantic need of help. ive had this fish for about 12 years and i noticed about a week ago that he chopped of the tip of his nose. so now i have him in his own 55gallon tank and hes not eating at all. went down to the lfs told the guy what happened and he sent me home with rid-ich plus. well things have gone from bad to worst. lastnight he was swimming out of control, thought he was dead a few times put my hand in the tank and rolled him over and rested him in my palm. it was getting pretty late so when i went to bed he seemed ok and this morning and i just got home from work and hes right side up on the bottom of the tank but hes not eatting at all not sucking on the glass. i need some help man i dont want to lose this fish.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thank you everyone

leogtr 03-25-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonybb (Post 628894)
hello everyone. im in frantic need of help. ive had this fish for about 12 years and i noticed about a week ago that he chopped of the tip of his nose. so now i have him in his own 55gallon tank and hes not eating at all. went down to the lfs told the guy what happened and he sent me home with rid-ich plus. well things have gone from bad to worst. lastnight he was swimming out of control, thought he was dead a few times put my hand in the tank and rolled him over and rested him in my palm. it was getting pretty late so when i went to bed he seemed ok and this morning and i just got home from work and hes right side up on the bottom of the tank but hes not eatting at all not sucking on the glass. i need some help man i dont want to lose this fish.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thank you everyone

go get some melafix. Im very sorry to hear this. I really hope he makes it my friend

Romad 03-26-2011 06:30 AM

Poor thing. I've had good results with Melafix too (with wounds only).

Keep his water super clean and try to keep him as stress free as possible. I hope he pulls through.

Keep us posted.

willow 03-26-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 629565)
Poor thing. I've had good results with Melafix too (with wounds only).

Keep his water super clean and try to keep him as stress free as possible. I hope he pulls through.

Keep us posted.

i totally agree,and can't say enough about the clean water.
i have seen a plec with the most awful injurys after getting tangled up in roots,the poor thing had such deep cuts all over its body.
the owner took pictures everyday and the outcome was amazing.
i hope he pulls through for you.

tonybb 03-26-2011 06:38 PM

update

i want to thank everyone for there fast response to my situation. i did go out yesturday imediately to my lps and i got melafix and started him on a treatment. and sorry i never did state what think happened to him so ill tell u now.

about 1 month ago stupid me made a stupid decision and i brought home 2 more fish for my tank so lets see i have a 55 gallon fw and i have 2 silver dollars, 2 ciklids, 1 sucker fish, and 2 new oscars so a total of 7 fish. well after the fish where in the tank i thought to myself i dont think my filter can handle (fluval 305) all these fish so i went back to the lps and bought a marianeland hang on filter for the tank so ifigured more is better then not enough. well that filter that hangs on the back the pickup for it has 2 pieces a top and a bottom and its square. the day i noticed his injury the bottom of the pickup was off of the filter. im guessing because ive seen my sucker fish before when he decides he want to change location he moves and i mean he moves anything and everything out of his way. so i think that he slammed his nose right in t0o that filter and thats how he got injured. its all my fault

one question hes now in a qt tank and i set it up like this. got another 55gallon tank, i took that hangon filter put it on the qt tank, i took about 20 gallons of water out of the original tank. could i be killing him because of the qt tank really wasnt ever cycled?

leogtr 03-26-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonybb (Post 630043)
i want to thank everyone for there fast response to my situation. i did go out yesturday imediately to my lps and i got melafix and started him on a treatment. and sorry i never did state what think happened to him so ill tell u now.

about 1 month ago stupid me made a stupid decision and i brought home 2 more fish for my tank so lets see i have a 55 gallon fw and i have 2 silver dollars, 2 ciklids, 1 sucker fish, and 2 new oscars so a total of 7 fish. well after the fish where in the tank i thought to myself i dont think my filter can handle (fluval 305) all these fish so i went back to the lps and bought a marianeland hang on filter for the tank so ifigured more is better then not enough. well that filter that hangs on the back the pickup for it has 2 pieces a top and a bottom and its square. the day i noticed his injury the bottom of the pickup was off of the filter. im guessing because ive seen my sucker fish before when he decides he want to change location he moves and i mean he moves anything and everything out of his way. so i think that he slammed his nose right in t0o that filter and thats how he got injured. its all my fault

one question hes now in a qt tank and i set it up like this. got another 55gallon tank, i took that hangon filter put it on the qt tank, i took about 20 gallons of water out of the original tank. could i be killing him because of the qt tank really wasnt ever cycled?

take him out now water doesnt contain beneficial bacteria! only the substrate and the decor do! hurry!!

willow 03-27-2011 03:04 AM

is there no way for transfering media from your old filter into the new one ?
or even take media from the old filter place it in some pantyhose(don't tell the wife :lol:)
and hang that inside the QT tank.
what cichlids have you got with the oscas ?