Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Filter Cleaning (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filter-cleaning-66132/)

29Kilo29 03-25-2011 12:58 AM

Filter Cleaning

Hi,

My Filter for my 30 gal. tropical aquarium looks like it needs a cleaning, but I have been getting many different answers as to how. I also want to clean the cartridge.

Any suggestions?

1077 03-25-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 628459)
Hi,

My Filter for my 30 gal. tropical aquarium looks like it needs a cleaning, but I have been getting many different answers as to how. I also want to clean the cartridge.

Any suggestions?

If the tank has cycled, then cleaning the cartridge in old aquarium water you take out during water changes or a bucket of dechlorinated water would in my view be best approach.
I seldom replace cartridges unless they begin to fall apart from the numerous cleanings described.;-)

Romad 03-25-2011 06:38 AM

What kind of filter is it?

jaysee 03-25-2011 11:30 AM

The best thing you can do is break away from the cartridges. You'll save a ton of money and you're tank will be in better shape if you use custom media.

29Kilo29 03-25-2011 01:23 PM

It's a Top Fin 30.

What would be a good replacement for a cartridge?

jaysee 03-25-2011 01:51 PM

Aquaclear sponges and ceramic biomedia. The sponges never need to be replaced, and neither does the ceramic biomedia. All you have to do is rinse it off and throw it back in the filter. This allows you to maintain a strong bacteria colony, rather than throwing it away every time you change the cartridge.

Also, it is easy to split off some of that media for starting a new tank.

29Kilo29 03-25-2011 01:56 PM

Okay, the tank is cycled and has been going for a while so would going from cartridge to a sponge require any new work?

I have never used a sponge before :-)

jaysee 03-25-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 628825)
Okay, the tank is cycled and has been going for a while so would going from cartridge to a sponge require any new work?

I have never used a sponge before :-)

No. The great thing about sponges is you can cut them into any shape you want. I would put sponge pieces in the filter. I am familiar with your filter - put the cut sponges in front of the cartridge and the biomax (or whatever) behind it, so the water flows through the sponge first, then the cart., then the biomax. This is too much media for the filter, so dial back the flow rate. If some water is spilling out over the intake tube, that's okay - that's what it's there for :) After a few weeks you can remove the cartridge and replace it with sponge.

I don't use carbon in my tanks, so I forgot about that. If you want to use carbon, all you need to do is get a mesh media bag (get 2) and a container of carbon. Carbon goes in the media bag and in the filter. Then when you need to change the cartridge, swap it out for the other - it can be a pain getting the wet carbon out of the wet bag. I found it easier to empty the bag once it was dry, but that was back when I still used it.

29Kilo29 03-25-2011 02:08 PM

Sounds good.
Thank you.