Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Discus Tips (must see) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/discus-tips-must-see-6612/)

sean117Ply 06-21-2007 06:23 AM

Discus Tips (must see)

I am going to share with you some things I have learnt about discus. I have had my discus for a while now and I have discovered a few things. I currently have 6 4in discus at the moment.
No. 1. Buy healthy discus- it is too hard to bring sick/injured discus back to optimum health, 2. if your drinking water is anywhere from 6.0-7.5 leave it, altering ph is fiddly, annoying, and big changes in ph are bad for discus even if only 0.5, 3. No power heads- discus do not like current, their fins are like big sails, 4. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 25 nitrate the limit but saying that they can live happily at 35, 5. Hardness- if your water is not that hard leave it but if it is too hard use peat or drift wood, 6. large water changes- every day, every second or once a week depending on your situation but the large water changes dramaticly lower nitrate, 7. no chemicals- use conditioner for chlorine and all that doodad but dont use algae controlling products or water clearing agents (as my janitor I use a bristle nose pleco they eat the algae, uneaten food and the slimy coating that comes from the discus.

When buying discus look at them very closely!!!
-Look for small eyes in proportion to the body, if they have big eyes and a small body they are stunted.

-Round body excluding fins, some geneticly bad discus are oddly shaped from oval to square.

-High erect fins, if the fins are down they are sick or very scared.

-bold colors, pale discus are sick but keep in mind the small discus may have not developed their full colors yet.

-eager to eat, when you walk up to the tank they should swim up to you and follow you.

Do not be affraid to haggle. I bought a discus marked at $80 for $30, the discus was slightly off shape so therefore got him cheaper with a little convincing-Dont forget aquariums/breeders want to sell their discus.

Well I hope this helps. Discus really are the king of the aqarium and with a little work and patience are easy. :)

Lupin 06-21-2007 08:49 PM

Re: Discus Tips (must see)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean117Ply
Hardness- if your water is not that hard leave it but if it is too hard use peat or drift wood

Excellent points. However, in this case, you have to determine your KH and GH. Lowering the pH is not very easy if your water is very hard. The use of RO water is your solution here.
Quote:

6. large water changes- every day, every second or once a week depending on your situation but the large water changes dramaticly lower nitrate
This is one of my most favorite parts of the hobby.:wink2:
Quote:

7. no chemicals- use conditioner for chlorine and all that doodad but dont use algae controlling products or water clearing agents (as my janitor I use a bristle nose pleco they eat the algae, uneaten food
I prefer scraping the algae manually. The use of fish is adding to bioload and aggression problems on plecos will be the main issue here. It comes down to luck though. I owned a BN before and she managed to slash several of my discus.
Quote:

and the slimy coating that comes from the discus.
This is something to be concerned of. Discus do excrete slime coat and most plecs have a habit on feasting on slime coat which can render the discus vulnerable to stress. Again, consider yourself lucky if the plecs you keep are mindful of their own business rather than pestering the discus.

Julie's Julies 06-24-2007 12:43 AM

Thanks for sharing! I am in awe of discus - if my water was softer with a lower ph I would consider owning them. I am studying up on them now, so that if I ever live somewhere that has more discus-suitable water (or can afford bottled) I can raise them.

Thanks again for sharing!

squiggles1 06-25-2007 03:21 PM

very true about buying sick discus. i didn't know i was buying sick ones when i did but out of 5, 1 lived. the one that lived is the king of the replacement 3 that i got though thats for sure! as for catfish i have some cories in there, some ottos and a striped raphael. nobody bothers the discus except the raphael eats anything they don't get in time but thats more for the good cause it keeps the pollution down. They are the first discus I ever had but I love them all ready. I read that if you run it at higher temperatures (closer to 30/86) while they're juveniles it will make them less prone to disease, grow faster and eat more. as far as food goes i'm feeding them cichled excel from Hikari (lots of spruilina for digestion) and a more protein based pellet from Tetra, all of which i soften before i feed. And they eat from my hand so that's exciting.

sean117Ply 06-25-2007 08:44 PM

Yeah You have to be lucky with bristle nose plecos, I was, he has no contact with the discus at all.