Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How to propogate annubias and java fern? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-propogate-annubias-java-fern-66111/)

PewPewPew 03-24-2011 09:22 PM

How to propogate annubias and java fern?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, all. I've had my annubias for about three months and my java fern for about two months. Recently, the annubias has sprouted many new leaves, which are becoming fairly large in size. My Java fern, which came to me very beat up and eaten ( :/ ) is even sprouting "babies" under the largest leaf. They are both quite healthy (or at least getting there!) and are vibrant.

I find the instructions thus far in my research on how to propagate these plants very hard to understand.

Can someone assist me in how to successfully propagate my plants?

He's a general sense of my tank:

-5gallons
-in the process of re-cycling (lost from travel)
-Ammonia does not go over .5ppm, rarely .25ppm because of Hornwort and anarcharis
-At least 2 hours of moderate light from a florescent bulb every day, often more. (but not in too direct of light)
-Tied and in the process of rooting to Malaysian driftwood.
-I use Tetra Plant FloraPride with every water change, about 4-5 drops (1 tsp- half the 10 gal dose) for a 75% change and less for lesser changes.

Pictures:
One annubias, sprouts are the lighter green small ones.
Attachment 25783

Java fern. Yeah, I got it this way. It was even worse before, I think snails ate it. Its got small offshoots under the largest leaf.
Attachment 25784

Hard to see, but the dark fuzzy brown spots are the shoots, they are young yet but do have green within them. On the right, largest leaf.
Attachment 25785

Another annubias's new leaves. This is my bigger annubias.
Attachment 25786

Also, what type of annubias is this? I only know it's annubias, and not which specific type.

Thanks.

Mikaila31 03-24-2011 09:31 PM

looks like anubias barteri. Propagation is usually done with sissors and cutting the rhizome. However you plants look a little small IMO to be cutting. The plantlets on the java fern should be allowed to get bigger before you separate them.

PewPewPew 03-24-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 628199)
looks like anubias barteri. Propagation is usually done with sissors and cutting the rhizome. However you plants look a little small IMO to be cutting. The plantlets on the java fern should be allowed to get bigger before you separate them.

Yeah, I wasnt planning on doing it just yet, but was very, very curious. What, on both plants, is the rhizome? The annubias has a huge, long and thick white "root", is that it? Neither are buried or anything, theyre all beginning to attach to the wood.
As for the java fern, Im definitely waiting on those guys! Theyre so young. I'll wait until theyre larger.

And thanks- I wasnt very sure, and they sometimes look very similar. Theyre from those tubes you buy at Petsmarts.

Mikaila31 03-24-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PewPewPew (Post 628204)
Yeah, I wasnt planning on doing it just yet, but was very, very curious. What, on both plants, is the rhizome? The annubias has a huge, long and thick white "root", is that it? Neither are buried or anything, theyre all beginning to attach to the wood.
As for the java fern, Im definitely waiting on those guys! Theyre so young. I'll wait until theyre larger.

And thanks- I wasnt very sure, and they sometimes look very similar. Theyre from those tubes you buy at Petsmarts.

yeah the main thick white part that the leaves branch off of is the rhizome, the roots do the same thing too. Both your plants have the same general anatomy, leaves, stems, rhizome, roots. Java jern has a much smaller rhizome then the anubias. Same thing though the leaves and roots both sprout off the rhizome.

Byron 03-26-2011 02:18 PM

Mikaila has answered your questions, so I'll just mention (in case you weren't aware) that we have plant profiles in our fish profiles section--second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page--and both these plants are included so you can see more info there. You can also click on the name when it is shaded in posts (it will shade if it is exactly the same common or scientific name as used in the profiles) to open the profile.

Byron.

redchigh 03-29-2011 05:13 PM

How often do you do water changes? I notice you say that you do the ferts when you change water..

It's generally better to wait a day after the change, since the dechlorinator can (some say) bind to the nutrients in the fertiliser, and lock it up.
I'm not 100% positive, but not worth the risk either.

Also, whenever you run out of the tetra flora-pride, try to get some flourish comprehensive. It's a bit better, and cheaper in the long run.