Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Bamboo Shrimp (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/bamboo-shrimp-66074/)

Cassandra90 03-24-2011 12:22 PM

Bamboo Shrimp

Does anyone have experience with Bamboo Shrimp (AKA wood shrimp)? I am interested in gettong some and I can only find vague information online.

Any suggestions/help will be appreciated!

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 03-24-2011 04:07 PM

Have 2 with my Discus and they are very interesting shrimps. They do fine in my parameters (6.1ph 85F) and the only problem I had was 1 of the original 3 I had escaped and found him under my bed 3 days later. I got a new hood and have had the other 2 for about 6 months now.

Cassandra90 03-24-2011 04:10 PM

I was thinking about getting 2. My water is pretty much dead spot on, except I keep my temp at 78-82F.

I do have a little opening in the back where the filter is. I could get a mesh to cover that if I am scared of them escaping.
What exactly do they eat? I know algea and other particles in the water.

Andarial 03-24-2011 04:36 PM

You would want to get a live plant for them and put them somewhere where a current is they eat particles of algae in the water and stuff that gets stuck on the plant

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 03-24-2011 06:36 PM

I have water sprite right in front of the filter outtake and they sit there sometimes but they also just roam around the tank

GwenInNM 03-24-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 628002)
I have water sprite right in front of the filter outtake and they sit there sometimes but they also just roam around the tank

I also had a Bamboo shrimp and he seemed so happy, but did also "escape" out the back near the filter and I found him dead. Apparently they will leave to look for better feeding areas or if they don't like the water parameters. You can google Bamboo shrimp and learn a lot. They do better in an established tank, as they feed in a water stream area (filter output) and grab micro organisms. They are really cute.

I'm going to wait till my tank is well established to get another. I was really sad he "jumped".

They like to eat brime shrimp and you can perhaps try dropping that into the water stream that enters the tank, as they will need to sit on a plant or something to be right in front of that. I hear if you have more than one, they will jockey for the best spot in front of the filter.

Gwen

Cassandra90 03-24-2011 08:03 PM

Well it looks like I may get some. I just gotta find a mesh that will cover the opening by the filter. I kinda wanna get 2. I don't have any plants in my tank. I used to but it gave me a bad fungus outbreak.

InvertPlanet 03-26-2011 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 in a species only thank. If you place some driftwood under the filter outlet they will be happy campers. Hihg flow, powdered foods and a place to perch is really all they need :)

GwenInNM 03-26-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertPlanet (Post 629979)
I have 2 in a species only thank. If you place some driftwood under the filter outlet they will be happy campers. Hihg flow, powdered foods and a place to perch is really all they need :)

I want to ask you more about your keeping of Bamboo shrimp, because I loved mine but he "jumped" even though he did have a piece of driftwood under the filter and he hung to the java fern attached. Anyways, when you say species specific tank, what are you keeping in there? Just bamboo shrimp? I like the idea of just using my 23 gal for something like that, when I get my larger tank cycled and I put all my fish in the larger tank. Love to hear what you have in your tank.

Thanks

Gwen

InvertPlanet 03-26-2011 07:48 PM

They were kept in the sump section of a larger tank. They were the only shrimp at the time. Since then I have converted it and added an Aquaclear 90 HOB filter.

The driftwood is located directly under the flow and they love it. The stronger the flow the better. Even when the sump outflow was in place they were there right in the bioballs and on the pipes. We were talking MASSIVE pressure from a pump pushing 1200gph.

At the present time with the HOB filter and driftwood, there are only some guppies in there (escape artists) and some red cherry shrimp. I would prefer to move the guppies out of there but they keep finding their way back in ;)

The next move for them is into a 30 gal with the same configuration. AC90 HOB and driftwood.

BTW ... I have never had a lid on either of these tanks for these shrimp.