Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy getting caught in filter D= (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-getting-caught-filter-d-66049/)

Andarial 03-23-2011 09:48 PM

Guppy getting caught in filter D=

Ok so I just bought four guppies after I finished treating my tank for ich and got it and the coppersafe out of the system. I bought these guppies to finish off my school or shoal (not sure which) which is now five strong. YAY I saved all four of them from a being kept in a tank with cherry barbs who were destroying their fins. Poor things ._. The last one I got had terrible fins and was sticking to the top, his fins were in tatters and he was swimming very slowly. Anyways back to the real problem at hand, the one with such bad fins got caught in my filter, it scared me half to death as I couldn't find him because he was stuck against the back. I barely managed to see him and then I turned off the filter and he managed to swim away. But his fins are horrible now, there is a huge hole in it and he's kind of drifting and then swimming really hard. I am watching him closely, wondering whether I should put him in QT away from the other guppies. He seems ok and they aren't hassling him, I put melafix in the water to heal him as fast as possible. I also turned off the filter except for the under gravel so hopefully it will stay clean for as long as is necessary. Any ideas?

Thanks!

leogtr 03-23-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 627338)
Ok so I just bought four guppies after I finished treating my tank for ich and got it and the coppersafe out of the system. I bought these guppies to finish off my school or shoal (not sure which) which is now five strong. YAY I saved all four of them from a being kept in a tank with cherry barbs who were destroying their fins. Poor things ._. The last one I got had terrible fins and was sticking to the top, his fins were in tatters and he was swimming very slowly. Anyways back to the real problem at hand, the one with such bad fins got caught in my filter, it scared me half to death as I couldn't find him because he was stuck against the back. I barely managed to see him and then I turned off the filter and he managed to swim away. But his fins are horrible now, there is a huge hole in it and he's kind of drifting and then swimming really hard. I am watching him closely, wondering whether I should put him in QT away from the other guppies. He seems ok and they aren't hassling him, I put melafix in the water to heal him as fast as possible. I also turned off the filter except for the under gravel so hopefully it will stay clean for as long as is necessary. Any ideas?

Thanks!

hey there!

I was afraid of this when I got my fish too. I have an 55g Eheim filter for my 20 gallon and I know its strong so I put a little fake plant in the center right under the intake so fish dont go near it.

here is a picture I have the fourth one from the left on the second row. Its a bit more dense and the fish never go near the intake because thats just a plant they dont like and they stay away from it. Im sure that will help if you have an intake thats just too strong. Im sure any dense fake plant would work

http://www.fishtankcity.com/wp-conte...ium-plants.jpg

stevenjohn21 03-23-2011 11:40 PM

I would have thought plants would be what guppies would swim to, but if it works for you then great !

For my fry tank i use panties and secure it with a hair band around the intake, or you could use filter sponge and use it as a pre filter.

It could have just been a weak fish but either of the above will work just incase it happens again.

Amethyst123 03-23-2011 11:42 PM

How big is your tank, and what kind of filter are you using?

A plant near the intake, like leogtr mentioned, may help. Doesn't have to be fake - real plants are good for water quality. If it is fake, make sure it is fairly flexible, and doesn't have sharp points or edges, because that can also tear longer fins/tails if the fish gets caught on the plants. For that reason, silk is better than plastic, in general.

Another thing I would do is wrap the intake tube with something that slows down the flow, as well as making the holes smaller, less likely to hurt somebody. You can use a piece of nylon stocking, a piece of nylon netting like what is used for fish nets, the kind of netting that they use to make the bags for river rocks or glass drops, etc. You can use rubber bands to hold it on the intake tube (the size they use to seal fish bags are perfect), or nylon fishing line, or anything that doesn't have metal in it - don't use regular twisty ties for that reason, but all plastic ties can work.

You can also do both - wrap the intake to reduce the current as well as putting a plant next to the tube.

As for the fish with the torn fins - as long as he can make it to the top to eat, doesn't get caught in the filter or something else, and is still swimming OK, he should be OK in the tank with the others. Melafix should help his fins heal without hurting the rest of the tank. If his tears get infected - turns into finrot rather than just tears, for example, you might need to use an antibiotic. If so, at that point I'd QT him, so that you aren't medicating fish that don't need medication. Make sure to keep your water very clean till everybody heals, including no ammonia or nitrites, since the presence of those chemicals will slow the healing process and can lead to finrot, etc.

Andarial 03-24-2011 12:09 PM

My tank is a 25 gallon and the filter is a Aquaeoun 20 (think I spelled that right) It's made for a forty gallon, it's a little strong but I figured since I had a pleco I needed something that would be better at cleaning? He seems to be doing ok, he can make it to the top ok (in fact that's where he stays) and he doesn't have a problem with the current. I will be doing a water change in a few days after they have acclimated to the water. Great ideas about the nylon and plants guys, never even though of that. I will be trying it out later after he has a healed a little bit and he is ok. No sign of infection yet, I hope it never shows up. Just one question about the nylons, wouldn't they eventually break down in the water? If not that would be awesome

stevenjohn21 03-24-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 627735)
My tank is a 25 gallon and the filter is a Aquaeoun 20 (think I spelled that right) It's made for a forty gallon, it's a little strong but I figured since I had a pleco I needed something that would be better at cleaning? He seems to be doing ok, he can make it to the top ok (in fact that's where he stays) and he doesn't have a problem with the current. I will be doing a water change in a few days after they have acclimated to the water. Great ideas about the nylon and plants guys, never even though of that. I will be trying it out later after he has a healed a little bit and he is ok. No sign of infection yet, I hope it never shows up. Just one question about the nylons, wouldn't they eventually break down in the water? If not that would be awesome

The current shouldn't be too strong , you can always raise the water level to stop it dropping like a waterfall. Failing that get a clear plastic bottle and cut it in half and again down the full length so its like a gutter (half moon shape ) attach it to your filter so the water hits the bottle first and then runs lightly into the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andarial 03-25-2011 06:17 PM

Sorry to say but the little guppy died last night, I'm guessing his fins got infected even though I saw no signs of them getting worse ._. I don't know what else I could have done though I'm sure there could have been something more. Thanks for all the help guys, I will be using a stocking from now on

leogtr 03-25-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 629033)
Sorry to say but the little guppy died last night, I'm guessing his fins got infected even though I saw no signs of them getting worse ._. I don't know what else I could have done though I'm sure there could have been something more. Thanks for all the help guys, I will be using a stocking from now on

don't worry. your Guppy has taken the journey:)