Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aeration question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aeration-question-65982/)

screennamie 03-23-2011 02:19 AM

Aeration question

I just set up a 50g tank and I'm currently using three smaller filters and would like to upgrade to canister.

I curently have a fluval underwater pump, strictly mechanical filtration. A penplax bubbler carbon and mechanical. And a HOB marineland bio wheel with the cartridge.

The HOB one is driving the GF nuts with the noise. I kind of like it but ya know how that argument goes :roll: . Any ways with my penplax bubbler is there really a need for the HOB type of filter any more?

I was thinking of converting the the fluval pump to a diy canister and giving the old hang on the back filter the axe.

bettababy 03-23-2011 03:20 AM

What you use for filtration will depend on what you have in the tank for animals and plants, and it will also depend on how often you do maintenance, how stable your water chemistry is, etc. If you can offer us more details I'm sure plenty of us here can chime in with suggestions for you.

screennamie 03-23-2011 05:56 PM

Well I currently have about a handfull of guppies mostly young fry. 2 platys, 2 danios, 1 rainbow shark, 5 neon tetras, and 1 crown tail female beta really young under an inch big. Also plenty of snails and a cory cat.

Not that many fish for the aquarium it looks pretty bare for its size. and its well planted with live plants.

Chemistry is very stable. My water is crystal clear and the only decorations I have in the tank is a piece of drift wood, rocks and a clay flower pot as well as the usual substrate and gravel.

bettababy 03-23-2011 09:14 PM

2 things...
1. Can you explain the diy canister to me please?
2. As for the tank looking empty, if it is full of very young fish, that is understandable, but remember that baby fish grow up, and what looks empty now will fill quickly as the fish begin to mature. I'm a bit concerned about the rainbow shark mixed with all the others. Rainbow sharks can get quite aggressive and will feed on most of the smaller fish like neons, guppy fry, even mature guppies if it gets a mind to... so I would watch for issues with aggression as things progress and the shark begins to grow up. More decor will help to establish better territories, but in that size of a tank, an adult rainbow shark is going to find things a bit crowded.

Once I know more about your plans for a diy canister then I can help you sort out what you need to go with it, if anything. Plan for your total waste load with all adult fish because your babies won't stay that way for long.

screennamie 03-23-2011 11:39 PM

Never mind thanks for your time. I just wanted to know if I really need a HOB filter. The shark was the main reason I got the bigger tank. And no aggressiveness so far. I'll just wing it with the canister or actually go pay for one. I understand fish get bigger that was the whole reason for upgrading to larger equipment.

bettababy 03-24-2011 01:19 AM

Whether you need the hob filter or not depends on how you are designing/constructing the diy canister, which is why I asked about that. There are a lot of ways to do a diy project, not all are as efficient as others, and not all are appropriate for every type of set up.
Knowing that your shark is going to grow to 6 - 8 inches long, knowing you have livebearers that will breed every 30 days, that makes a difference in waste levels that will get increasingly higher as time progresses. How much/what types of media are you intending to use in your diy canister? That also will have some bearing on how effective it is with or without a hob. Flow rate, spray bar and how big it is, how much force it puts water back into the tank, etc. all make a difference in what else may or may not be needed to compensate waste levels as the fish grow and reproduce.

At this point the only info you've offered is that its a diy canister unit. That doesn't offer any idea to how effective it will be at meeting the tanks needs vs a hob or store bought unit.

Amethyst123 03-24-2011 03:04 AM

Filters are not your only worry with the stock combination you have. You might want to rethink your stocking plan.

As bettababy said, your rainbow shark will get big enough to eat your smaller adult fish, as well as any guppy or platy fry that are born in your tank. Which there will be, unless you have all females or all males. By the way, male platys get aggressive with each other, so hopefully you have either all females, or only one male with your females. The female betta will also probably eat your fry, once she is full grown. If you don't want an overpopulation problem, having a fish or two that will eat the fry can be helpful, although the adults of the same species will usually take care of that by themselves. However, having fish that will likely attack your other adult fish isn't good.