Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Crazy Cherry Barb? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/crazy-cherry-barb-65973/)

lindsayletcher 03-22-2011 11:01 PM

Crazy Cherry Barb?

Hi all

So i've had 5 cherry barbs for the last month or so. About 2 weeks ago I added a couple of male guppies to the tank. Today I noticed that my female barb is nipping and shredding his tail. I've never, ever had problems with my barbs being nippers or aggressive. Is it a sex thing or is she just plain crazy? I'm thinking I might give her to a friend who keeps all barbs in their tank. Any other ideas for me?

jaysee 03-23-2011 01:15 AM

I would get more cherry barbs. What's the sex ratio?

lindsayletcher 03-23-2011 10:19 AM

The ratio of cherry barbs is 4:1 (m:f). And my tank is at stocking limit. A little overstocked because I have a few baby guppies in there. But i'm working on getting a second tank set up. It's just running it's fishless cycle.

As an update, the male guppy died overnight.

RLavery 03-23-2011 12:17 PM

cherry barb pregnant but not laying why??? please help!!

ive got 2 cherry barbs in my tank and she has been pregnant since the end of January and she wont lay, i read on a site that if she is scared the fish will be eaten if she lays she will hold them in and it may kill her so ive moved her into a berthing tank thing (it solid and it floats but has holes in bottom ive covered them with assitite ) is this a good idea or will they fall out the bottom an do i need to put the male in with her. im beginning to think she isn't preg because its been soo long but she look as though she will explode any day now
PLEASE HELP!!!

jaysee 03-23-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsayletcher (Post 626741)
The ratio of cherry barbs is 4:1 (m:f). And my tank is at stocking limit. A little overstocked because I have a few baby guppies in there. But i'm working on getting a second tank set up. It's just running it's fishless cycle.

As an update, the male guppy died overnight.

IME with barbs, they do best in an even m/f split. Having an imbalance like that could be influencing the situation. She's annoyed at the males harassing her so she takes it out on the guppy :) In all seriousness though, the sex ratio ought to be fixed once you get a bigger tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLavery (Post 626795)
ive got 2 cherry barbs in my tank and she has been pregnant since the end of January and she wont lay, i read on a site that if she is scared the fish will be eaten if she lays she will hold them in and it may kill her so ive moved her into a berthing tank thing (it solid and it floats but has holes in bottom ive covered them with assitite ) is this a good idea or will they fall out the bottom an do i need to put the male in with her. im beginning to think she isn't preg because its been soo long but she look as though she will explode any day now
PLEASE HELP!!!

Cherry barbs do not get pregnant - only livebearers give birth to live young, which is what that thing is for that you have the fish in. Put her back in the tank :)

RLavery 03-24-2011 05:05 PM

Cherry barbs do not get pregnant - only livebearers give birth to live young, which is what that thing is for that you have the fish in. Put her back in the tank :)

i know this but its been 2 months and im worried that she is scared and is holding them in which will kill her

jaysee 03-24-2011 05:20 PM

No it won't.

Jenna28 03-27-2011 05:52 PM

She won't explode. I've never heard of a female dying from not laying her eggs. Actually I was told that her body would just absorb them. Also, cherry barbs are 'egg scatterers'. They hide their eggs in plants, then the males come along to fertilize them. Since the breeder offers no hiding places, your female is not likely to use it.