Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Discus 1 Eating Eggs From Discus 2

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SaltwaterTaylor14 
#1 ·
Two Discus' in my 90gal appear to be BFFs. But one will lay eggs on the glass and then later on I catch the other one eating them. They are always hanging out together so I don't understand why the other one would be so mean. I don't know if the other one is male or female.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
do you see the onte thats eating the eggs fertalizing them even or just eating them as she lays them

#3 ·
No, the other one just floats there and watches as she lays the eggs. Then it will start pecking at them and eating them right in front of her! Pretty rude actually.

#6 ·
I'm thinking the same thing but they love each other anyway!
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
thats odd

#10 ·
Discus's breeders

It's interesting to read your posts. I am new with Discus but would love to breed when they mature. It is hard to find information or people who are interested in Discus.

I have several different colors with a total of 8 Discus in a 125 gal. tank. PH is 6.4 temp.84 deg. Am I doing ok? Should I only have one color or what?

jonelle texas

#11 ·
Hi Jonelle, it sounds like you're off to a good start. Yes, you can mix strains - no problem. Good luck! Upload some pics and link the topic here when you get a chance!

#12 ·
The same thing happened to my discus. But i have good news. This happened for around a month or so until finally the male discus stopped eating them. I think your discus will eventually learn to stop eating his own eggs just like mine did. You can try to feed them when he is about to eat the eggs, but my advice is just wait and hopefully things will change for the better :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.