Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Missing Pectoral and Pelvic Fins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/missing-pectoral-pelvic-fins-65900/)

Seanmiller09 03-21-2011 10:01 PM

Missing Pectoral and Pelvic Fins

Just got back from vacation, to find yet another problem in one of my tanks. (does it ever end?) Ive got my 5 Serpae Tetras alone in a heavily planted 10g since they do NOT get along with ANY other fish (unfortunate since they are one of my favorite tetras). Well I came home to find most of the fish having problems swiming, under closer inspection, some were missing atleast half of their pectoral and/or pelvic fins.

Its not a disease I just figured this was the best forum to ask a general health question.

The fish just will not stop attacking eachother, one has lost so much of its fins that it can no longer maintain even the slightest horizontal position and is constantly having to swim vertically downward. Im assuming this was due to stress related agression caused by hunger. As my fish sitter only fed 4 times in 9 days (lucky Ive got an auto feeder for when I go out of town that I put on my bigger tank).

Do fins grow back? Is there a way to help them in the mean time IF fins can grow back? If they can not I may have to euthanize a few of the poor guys.

Thanks for any input.

Sean

1077 03-22-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanmiller09 (Post 625614)
Just got back from vacation, to find yet another problem in one of my tanks. (does it ever end?) Ive got my 5 Serpae Tetras alone in a heavily planted 10g since they do NOT get along with ANY other fish (unfortunate since they are one of my favorite tetras). Well I came home to find most of the fish having problems swiming, under closer inspection, some were missing atleast half of their pectoral and/or pelvic fins.

Its not a disease I just figured this was the best forum to ask a general health question.

The fish just will not stop attacking eachother, one has lost so much of its fins that it can no longer maintain even the slightest horizontal position and is constantly having to swim vertically downward. Im assuming this was due to stress related agression caused by hunger. As my fish sitter only fed 4 times in 9 days (lucky Ive got an auto feeder for when I go out of town that I put on my bigger tank).

Do fins grow back? Is there a way to help them in the mean time IF fins can grow back? If they can not I may have to euthanize a few of the poor guys.

Thanks for any input.

Sean

I too love the serpae tetra's. Unfortunately, the activity you describe is normal when these fish are kept in low number's and smaller aquariums.
in the wild,,these fish shoal,or school in the hundred's, perhaps several hundred. They establish a pecking order and weak fishes are singled out, and pecking order is changing daily.
In small number's ,smaller tanks, this becomes more of a problem than it would be in larger tank with larger number's where male to female ratios might be enhanced, and where numerous fishes would help reduce nipping , among this species.
In my expierience,, this species should be kept with a dozen or more of same species and 55 gallon minimum tank.(opinions vary)

Seanmiller09 03-22-2011 05:52 AM

That is unfortunate info, I knew the number I was keeping them in was too small, but I didn't know it was that low. I was planning on bumping their number up to 10 in my 58g until I had to move them to the 10g. Do you know if there is anything I can do to help the fish for the time being?

1077 03-22-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanmiller09 (Post 625821)
That is unfortunate info, I knew the number I was keeping them in was too small, but I didn't know it was that low. I was planning on bumping their number up to 10 in my 58g until I had to move them to the 10g. Do you know if there is anything I can do to help the fish for the time being?

I'm afraid I cant' offer much.:|

Clean water will allow fins to regrow but if nipping continues,, then not much will help.
No room for dither's in ten gal, and if fishes were terrorizing your fish in larger tank, then this may not be option either.

Seanmiller09 03-22-2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess I can only wait and see what happens.