Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
- - Making a Rock Decoration for tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/making-rock-decoration-tank-659/)
Making a Rock Decoration for tank
A while ago I was looking in aquarium shops for a new decoration to put in the tank, but most of them seem to be mass produced and I wanted something original.
So, after visiting my parents house and raiding their back garden (they think I'm a looper) I came up with the following idea:
1. I took the rocks home and boiled up in a pot to get rid of dirt and any creepies.
2. Poured some vinegar on the rocks, to make sure they were safe to put in the tank.
3. Using clear silicone sealant, glued a number of small rocks together (this took a while, because due to the weight of the rocks I had to glue a couple, wait 24 hours for the sealant to dry, glue a couple more and so on...).
4. While the sealant was still quite tacky between the rocks, I added a few pieces of fake plants, just to make it a bit more natural looking.
I have since been advised that using epoxy resin is much more effective for sticking rocks together, and dries more quickly but I've not had a chance to try it out yet.
Anyway, enough rambling - here's step-by-step pictures of the process. Very simple, but effective. :)
That looks great good job. Nice neon's you got there...How big are they? Mine have grown A LOT since ive gotten them. Fast growers they are ;)
My neons are a range of different sizes, but I got two batches at different times. I have one lot which are about a year old now, and I'd say they're about an inch and a half. :D
This is a wonderful DIY post, katherine73! Thank you so much for the contribution :)
Yes they're great Katherine. 8)
Nice one, is it all fake plants or do you also have natural plants in the tank?
looks good ive made one too :D http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/50_IMAG0229_2.jpg
I have a question. How do you silicone the rocks together with out holding them in one spot for like 5 hours? Because if you just silicone one and stick one together it wont just stay like that...Or am I wrong? I would like to make one for my fish tank...
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.