Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   platy with fin damage at LFS (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platy-fin-damage-lfs-65885/)

combray 03-21-2011 08:30 PM

platy with fin damage at LFS

Today while I was at my LFS, I noticed a blue platy with terrible fin damage and I felt so bad for her. Her tail fin was practically gone. In fact most of the platys in the tank had some damage. I didn't look close enough to see what other species they were being housed with, but it looked as if they had been all nipped up.

I've had such great luck with getting healthy fish from the LFS that I think perhaps the platys came to them in that pitiful shape.

Now I can't stop thinking about her terrible plight and I am wondering if it is a good idea to rescue her or not? I do not have a hospital tank setup currently. I do have plenty of room in a 20 gallon long with peaceful tankmates: guppies, platys, neon tetras and a bristlenose.

I'd go get her without question, except in the back of my mind I am a bit concerned it might be something contagious instead of being nipped.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Andarial 03-21-2011 11:29 PM

The only thing I could think of it being instead of it being nipped is fin rot >> someitmes it looks like someone's been snacking on their fins

1077 03-22-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combray (Post 625368)
Today while I was at my LFS, I noticed a blue platy with terrible fin damage and I felt so bad for her. Her tail fin was practically gone. In fact most of the platys in the tank had some damage. I didn't look close enough to see what other species they were being housed with, but it looked as if they had been all nipped up.

I've had such great luck with getting healthy fish from the LFS that I think perhaps the platys came to them in that pitiful shape.

Now I can't stop thinking about her terrible plight and I am wondering if it is a good idea to rescue her or not? I do not have a hospital tank setup currently. I do have plenty of room in a 20 gallon long with peaceful tankmates: guppies, platys, neon tetras and a bristlenose.

I'd go get her without question, except in the back of my mind I am a bit concerned it might be something contagious instead of being nipped.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Unless you can isolate the fish from your otherwise healthy fishes,,it is risky buisness.
If you have a spare heater,and perhaps ten or twenty gallon rubbermaid tub, you could place the fish in this tub with, or without a filter, but this would mean each day,,you would need to change 50 percent of the water with fresh dechlorinated water and feed sparingly (tiny amount)
Fish would need to remain in tub for minimum three weeks with daily water change described above.
Many folks,, keep and extra filter going on their tanks so as to be able to quickly set up a hospital, or quarantine tank with afore mentioned tub or spare tank, and this would eliminate the need for daily water changes.
Never a good idea to place possibly sick fishes,with healthy fishes.

combray 03-22-2011 11:42 AM

Thank you both for your replies. I've had such good luck so far keeping my fish heathy that I hate to risk adding the platy to my established tanks.

I have a little 5.5 gallon that I've been wanting to upgrade to another 20 gallon long, so perhaps I'll go that route. Then turn the 5.5 into a quarantine tank.

Is fin rot contagious? I've seen conflicting information about this on the web.

Thanks again.

daver 03-22-2011 12:06 PM

fin rot

Ive been in the hobby for 50 years and am considered to have a pretty good knowledge of fish keeping.
You said all the fish in that tank have some sort of damage so leave them all in that tank and treat them.
Its no use moving them around , because fin rot is highly contageous
I would say try and get some antifungle medication and treat them as directed.
check out the meds and find the best you can find.cheap sometimes means diluted and "may" work.

good luck and I hope this works.....Daver....ps..clean all your equipment [nets etc ] before reusing!

SeaHorse 03-22-2011 12:10 PM

Combray.... sounds like you have made a decision....? hmmm?
Can't wait to see pictures of your little rescue.
Jakiebabie