Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   A few beginner questions.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/few-beginner-questions-65882/)

Riverton 03-21-2011 07:26 PM

A few beginner questions..

Hey guys!
I just recently was referred to this site by a member who says this is the best place for aquarium related help(: (I'm not quite sure of their name as they referred me on yahoo answers)

I've been in the hobby of keeping freshwater fish for around a year. I've had a very successful 20 gallon tank that's had relatively no problems throughout it's life. I'd like to get into saltwater tanks, however, I really only would like a smaller one, somewhere around 3 or 5 or 8 gallons. I was sort of looking at this: Desktop & Small Aquarium Starter Kits: Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Here's where I'm stumped:
I've been attempting to research nano tanks, but I read a lot of conflicting information when trying to find help.

Basically, I want to know what equipment I need for a tank that size, including additives and rock and such. I need to know what reef compatible fish/invertebrates I could put in it, which coral I could put in (as I know absolutely nothing about them), if there are any online stores that carry possibly a kit to help me get started,and finally, I need to know a price range that this may cost.

To fill you in on what I know, I planned on putting 1 or two shrimp in there, a few snails, about 5 pounds live rock, about 2 1/2 pounds live sand, and I also realize that this being a small tank will require careful watch of the water parameters.

I'd appreciate it a lot if you guys could fill me in, and perhaps give me some of your personal experiences.

Thanks a million guys, and I hope to become somewhat of a regular on the site pretty soon(:

reefsahoy 03-21-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverton (Post 625356)
Hey guys!
I just recently was referred to this site by a member who says this is the best place for aquarium related help(: (I'm not quite sure of their name as they referred me on yahoo answers)

I've been in the hobby of keeping freshwater fish for around a year. I've had a very successful 20 gallon tank that's had relatively no problems throughout it's life. I'd like to get into saltwater tanks, however, I really only would like a smaller one, somewhere around 3 or 5 or 8 gallons. I was sort of looking at this: Desktop & Small Aquarium Starter Kits: Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Here's where I'm stumped:
I've been attempting to research nano tanks, but I read a lot of conflicting information when trying to find help.

Basically, I want to know what equipment I need for a tank that size, including additives and rock and such. I need to know what reef compatible fish/invertebrates I could put in it, which coral I could put in (as I know absolutely nothing about them), if there are any online stores that carry possibly a kit to help me get started,and finally, I need to know a price range that this may cost.

To fill you in on what I know, I planned on putting 1 or two shrimp in there, a few snails, about 5 pounds live rock, about 2 1/2 pounds live sand, and I also realize that this being a small tank will require careful watch of the water parameters.

I'd appreciate it a lot if you guys could fill me in, and perhaps give me some of your personal experiences.

Thanks a million guys, and I hope to become somewhat of a regular on the site pretty soon(:

First off, welcome to TFK! Glad to hear you are asking questions before jumping in and then finding out what needs to be done to be successful. A 3 gallon tank can be easy or hard depending on what you are trying to keep. IMO, if the above stocking list is what you are trying to keep then it could be quite easy. in a case like that you'll basically need water movement and that's about it, but be prepared to do water changes every week. A 3 gallon tank would not require much waer but say a 1/2 gallon a week and i think that would be sufficient enough to keep the livestock you've mentioned. You won't need to dose anything to keep the livestock alive because a 1/2 gallon/week represents 66% waterchange a month and all your trace elements would be replenished easily with that amount. if you are going into corals i'd recomend nonphotosynthetic corals so the required light would only be for viewing purposes and thus you won't heat the water too much.

Riverton 03-21-2011 09:40 PM

Okay thank you very much!:)
For water movement do you just use a mini power head or what?
Would I use a filter? I see a lot a nano tanks without them?
And also do you have any idea how much a tank like this would cost?(: