Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Polka Dot Lyre Tail Plecs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/polka-dot-lyre-tail-plecs-65829/)

1stAquarium 03-21-2011 08:28 AM

Polka Dot Lyre Tail Plecs

I was in my LFS yesterday, looking at all the usual fish they stock when I noticed two of the most beautiful little catfish I've ever seen - the man working there told me they were polka dot catfish - I have done a bit of internet research today and they seem to be lyre tails of this variety. I think the scientific name is Acanthicus Adonis (L155) from what I can see. I will get some photos on when I can. Anyway, I bought them both - normally I wouldn't buy anything without finding out about its requirements first but I knew they would get snapped up and I was unlikely to see anything like it again. They are only about 1 and a half inches ATM - I have read that they get pretty big but there are so many records of different sizes on the net I don't know which is true. Any ideas on max size? How old are they likely to be at an inch and a half?

I have got them in a 120 litre tank with plenty of hiding places, and drift wood, which they love. They ate some algae pellets last night when I fed them. They are in the tank with a quite large rainbow shark, a mating pair of bristlenose, various BN fry, a balloon molly, a badis badis and a gold white cloud mountain minnow. I realise these last should be in groups but they are the remainders of old groups from quite some time ago and I don't want to re-stock on these. Thinking about taking them to the LFS.

Anyway, anyone who has some concrete info on these beautiful fish, please let me know! I have also read they are agressive to their own kind, should I separate them now? Any ideas on sexual dysmorphism? One of them has a long stringy bit coming out of each lyre tail strand, the other only has one at the bottom, which is thicker than that of the other fish.

lorax84 03-21-2011 02:29 PM

Adonis are beautiful fish but you may have accidentally stepped into the deep end with this purchase. The biggest problem is the size they attain, Adonis regularly reach 15" and your tank will not be big enough for long. Most recommend at least 100 gallons if you are keeping 2. Here is a little info about the species.

Acanthicus Adonis , the Adonis catfish - L155 with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

1stAquarium 03-21-2011 03:11 PM

Thanks Lorax. Yes I think I have! Think I had a slight moment of madness buying both of them. One might have to go once they get a bit bigger. Is that one in your photo?

lorax84 03-21-2011 03:23 PM

Actually the pic in my avatar is a Hypancistrus Contradens. They only get to be about 5 inches and aren't very good algae eaters. I am currently growing out 3 juvies in a 20 gallon. If you have a decent picture of your L155s I would love to see it.

1stAquarium 03-21-2011 03:25 PM

I'll try to get one. I have a good one on my phone but no way to get it on here!

lorax84 03-21-2011 03:26 PM

I don't know about your phone, but many will allow you to text a picture to an email address. Just a heads up.