Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking a Classroom Tank. Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-classroom-tank-suggestions-65722/)

Ziggehs 03-20-2011 12:03 AM

Stocking a Classroom Tank. Suggestions?

My grandmother is a 3rd grade teacher and pinned the duty of stocking (and taking care of) a 15 gallon fish tank on me. I, of course, don't mind =P

And oh hey, this is my first post here. So hello all =D

I'm looking for:
- Hardy
- Colorful
- Active
- Active < Colorful
- A variety
- Some kind of clean up crew.
- Fish that don't mind quite a bit of noise during the day.

I have a cycled, filtered and heated 15 gallon with plenty of hiding spots and a few of those cheesy neon colored plastic plants.

Any suggestions? =)

LasColinasCichlids 03-20-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggehs (Post 623522)
My grandmother is a 3rd grade teacher and pinned the duty of stocking (and taking care of) a 15 gallon fish tank on me. I, of course, don't mind =P

And oh hey, this is my first post here. So hello all =D

I'm looking for:
- Hardy
- Colorful
- Active
- Active < Colorful
- A variety
- Some kind of clean up crew.
- Fish that don't mind quite a bit of noise during the day.

I have a cycled, filtered and heated 15 gallon with plenty of hiding spots and a few of those cheesy neon colored plastic plants.

Any suggestions? =)

What is the tank's pH?
Welcome to TFK!!!

small fry 03-20-2011 04:32 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping!:-D

LasColinasCichlids brings up a very good point. It is not recomended that you plan the water around the fish (like with pH buffers etc), but that you plan the fish around your water.

Do you have a pH test kit? I recomend API liquid test kits. You can get a pH test kit for under $7 at Walmart, and it would be worth it to have fish that are happy, healthy, and at their peak coloration.

If testing will not be possible, prehaps we could come up with a (somewhat small) list of fish that will do fine from a pH of 6.2-8.

We would love to help you out with the classroom fish tank, or any fish tanks you personally have/want to have. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here!:-)

Tryin2fish89 03-20-2011 12:02 PM

Get some Platys!

small fry 03-20-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryin2fish89 (Post 623812)
Get some Platys!

Platies, guppies, mollies, and other live-bearers work great in almost any pH. Although it is still recomended you test for pH, these fish can do fine in a wide variety.

If you do know your pH, it will unlock alot more possibilities than just live-bearers. pH is a good thing to know.

If you decide on live-bearers, why don't you make a stocking list on here and we can help make sure it isn't overstocked? Otherwise, we can help you figure out fish to match your pH and help you with other stocking later on.:-)

zof 03-20-2011 01:48 PM

I actually work in a school district and have seen 1 or 2 class room tanks, and for the little guys your best bet is to just go with 1 really hardy fish. First 1 fish is alot easier to hold the kids attention and since they will be naming the fish they wont mix up who is who (big no no in the third grade social structure), and also when the teacher refers to the tank they will say its "Nemo's" tank or what ever they name it instead of calling it the fish tank.

I wouldn't go with any special colored live bearer because there is a good chance some time through the year something the kids do might kill the fish, so you need to be able to run to the local pet store and know they will have that color in stock so the kids never know the difference when grandma walks in in the morning and finds the fish belly up. (Third grade is really not a good time to start teaching about death)

As for fish selection I have seen a platy in one tank and a Siamese algae eater(SAE) in another and I seemed to think the SAE did the best being handled by the kids and all. Of course the SAE wont meet your criteria for colorful.

SeaHorse 03-20-2011 02:58 PM

I've been waiting to see what others post here... I totally agree with Zof. Also if you put a few fish in there and you get a "bully", it's not the same as the playground, you get death and very upset kids. They can be very sensitive. While you want a learning experience you wouldn't want it to happen from a bully. Even with a pair that might mate like Mollies and Swords, the male can and will pester and can be too much for one female causing her to hide or die.
Find one good repeatable fish. lol. (hmmmm reminds me of the story of my daughter's blue budgie...)

small fry 03-20-2011 03:22 PM

Good idea guys! Nothing wrong with understocking a tank!:-)

LasColinasCichlids 03-20-2011 04:03 PM

If we are doing a solo fish, has a betta been considered?

Or in a 15 gallon, what about some threadfin rainbows? Or sparkling gourami? (Assuming pH is a fit, 6 of those would fit safely in a 15 gallon.)