Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Scared or normal activity?

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  LasColinasCichlids 
#1 ·
A month into my new 35 gal aquarium(8 red eyed tetra, 6 red platys and 4 fan tail guppies), I added 2 loaches, since I have a pleco in my 29 gal. I wanted different bottom feeding fish in my 35. I never see them out and about unless I check on them every couple days to make sure they're stil alive, by stirring the object they stay under, which I added many. I only bought two because I wasn't sure how they would do. I read in the "Profiles" that they should be in groups of 5 or more in order to be active.
Water is cycled, and none of the levels are ever unsafe. Any other suggestions on getting more activity from them, or is this just the way the are? Any advice would be helpful.

Disappointed in NM,
Ted :|

#2 ·
Are you talking clown loaches? I don't know much about them, but if groups are suggested, that could be the reason. Does seem strange you don't see them out though. I live in Albuquerque, and I'm wondering where you are? I have a friend who needs to place a couple of her tetras, and needs a good home for them. If you are local, perhaps you're interested. She has a placo too, but I see you have that.

Gwen

#4 ·
pleco

The pleco is about 6 inches. I told her I really didn't want him, and suggested she post on Craigslist. The others are a couple orange tetras, and I think a lemon tetras, though I'm going over there tomorrow, to check. I haven't seen the fish in awhile, and need to see if I know what they are - but they're tetras. I'm setting up a new tank, so she was hoping I'd want them (she is tired of fish and wants to get rid of her 30 gal and all). If you're interested, I know she isn't wanting to make or get any money for them. She doesn't want her tank either, which has a light fixture and all.

Gwen

#8 ·
LOL
Most pet store employees are there just to sell you things and collect money...very few know what they are talking about, even if they sound like they do.

Yeah, the need for 5 loaches is the reason I dont have any in my tank, I dont have the room for them. Loaches are awesome when they are in a happy group!

What species of loach is it?

#10 ·
Yah I know.. Jerks! Anyhow, they are Kuhli loaches.
Oh yes, those guys demand a large group...if your tank is big enough, I would even advice going over 5, maybe a total of 6 or more...with loaches, especially the kuhlis, the motto should be "the more, the merrier". Kuhlis are a bit more of hiders than most loaches in general, even in a group. But the group will helps tons!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.