Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   What is this!? "My BFF"? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/what-my-bff-65598/)

small fry 03-18-2011 02:55 PM

What is this!? "My BFF"?

I can't believe it. We don't have Televesion and my sister came back from my grandparents house (they have TV) the other day. She was telling me about something she saw on TV called "My BFF: My Best Fish Friend".

She said that you put something that looks like a tea bag in a bowl of water and it something happends and fish start growing. I went to my computer and looked it up. It looks like Killifish. I couldn't believe what I saw. These "My BFF" packs come with a pouch, bowl, and some fish food. It says it comes with instructions also, but I fear that the instructions are probably going to end up like AquaBlock's instructions to keep the fish alive longer.

Anyway, this probably isn't there official page, but take a look at "My BFF". I am wondering if this is going to become a problem...

small fry 03-18-2011 03:03 PM

I just found the care info, but I am going out of town right now and I don't have time to read over it.

My BFF care info

Why don't you all look into that? I guess I will see the outcome when I get back into town tomorrow or Monday.

Mikaila31 03-19-2011 06:00 PM

yeah they are killi fish eggs... nothing new really.

small fry 03-19-2011 06:29 PM

Hmm...Ok.

The care info isn't great, but it is certainly alot better than other care info I have read from other places. "Change 2/3 2 or 3 times a week". Not Ok for more than 1 fish, but it could be alot worse.

LasColinasCichlids 03-19-2011 10:13 PM

Hey small fry...you got me curious, so I went digging...
The only BIG issue I see regarding their care and stuff is that the particular type of killifish they are selling, can have very similar personalities as Bettas...therefore the males are going to fight a lot, and they dont mind beating up the females either. They do best in 2 F to 1 M, but out of a batch of 8 you could end up with all males, all females, or a really big unbalance that could end in nothing but fish drama!
Also, they recommend not putting them into an aquarium until they reach two inches...I would do it at 3/4 - 1 inch.
Also, they want you to continue buying their "special food", which is live brine shrimp...ehh, a waste of money.
It is a rather interesting set up, and if it was with a more docile killifish, I would consider trying it out and see, but not with that species.

small fry 03-19-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 623445)
Hey small fry...you got me curious, so I went digging...
The only BIG issue I see regarding their care and stuff is that the particular type of killifish they are selling, can have very similar personalities as Bettas...therefore the males are going to fight a lot, and they dont mind beating up the females either. They do best in 2 F to 1 M, but out of a batch of 8 you could end up with all males, all females, or a really big unbalance that could end in nothing but fish drama!
Also, they recommend not putting them into an aquarium until they reach two inches...I would do it at 3/4 - 1 inch.
Also, they want you to continue buying their "special food", which is live brine shrimp...ehh, a waste of money.
It is a rather interesting set up, and if it was with a more docile killifish, I would consider trying it out and see, but not with that species.

Thanks for looking into it! That really stinks. I knew these guys were up to know good.

Something should be done about this. I am going to look for contact info with the company. If I find something I'll post it here (if that is Ok with the forum), or I'll PM anyone who asks. We can't have people selling fish that will kill each other!

SeaHorse 03-19-2011 10:54 PM

Well that just makes it all sad and wrong doesn't it? Wow. Too bad they are allowed to sell this kind of stuff. Sad. :frustrated:

LasColinasCichlids 03-19-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by small fry (Post 623474)
Thanks for looking into it! That really stinks. I knew these guys were up to know good.

Something should be done about this. I am going to look for contact info with the company. If I find something I'll post it here (if that is Ok with the forum), or I'll PM anyone who asks. We can't have people selling fish that will kill each other!

Well, they wont persay kill each other...but they are rather aggressive (not like a cichlid) and would actually require a rather large tank to house 8 of them of random sexes without aggression issues.

There really wont be anything that can be done...and it isnt considered animal cruelty because when they sell them they arent live, and they include food and instructions.

Any fish put in the wrong environment can become a killer. Small tanks leave them stressed and anxious, which can cause continual aggression and nipping that will eventually lead to death.

Mikaila31 03-21-2011 10:40 PM

They do need brine shrimp or some other live food. Killies don't take particularly well to prepared stuff.

There is nothing majorly wrong with the kit, its better then most IMO.

At the last Minnesota State fair there was a booth selling these kits, it resulted in a thread on my local fish forum. Not do to the kits, but the booth had live glo-fish on display and was selling killi eggs >.>

LasColinasCichlids 03-21-2011 10:46 PM

Some people just dont respect fish as much as they do larger and/or land pets.