Tropical Fish Keeping banner

My 1st Saltwater tank 30gal.

5K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  badxgillen 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first saltwater tank. Open for critique,please any advice would help out tons.

See less See more
#3 ·
So far everything seems to be running ok. Took the domino damsel back to the pet store. Thinking about getting a protein skimmer not sure yet. I have had some mixed thoughts over it. Some say yay some say nay. for a 30gal. Funny you said the flame hawk nibbled at the stars. Well he did nibble at the other coral the one he is in the pic with. When i saw him do it the dang coral fell off the stone he was living on and i guess swam for safety he is somewhere behind the wall of live rock... not sure if he is dead or what.. didnt feel like hunting for him... any suggestions on that.

#12 ·
i would agree protein skimmers definitely help. they can suck nutrients but with water changes this is not a big issue.

few questions: how long has the tank been up? what type of lighting are you using? Are you using RO/DI?

you tank is pretty, i would lke to emulate it. I have had many struggles with the flame angel in past.

#13 ·
currently in my tank now is

Glass aquarium size 29 30Lx13Wx18H
Marineland power filter penguin350
Coralife HighOutput T5 Lunar Aqualight
X2 10k daylights
X2 Actinic 31w
X2 LEDs
Substrate 30lbs of natures ocean bio-active live aragonite reef sand been using Instant Ocean salt.
ZooMed 214 power sweeper
Koralia Nano 240
Aqueon 100w heater

Currently in tank
Bloodred shrimp,x14 hermit crabs,x4snails

Protein Skimmer???

Anyone have any suggestions on size and brand i would need for my tank

#18 ·
You have corals now? I would definitely use a skimmer!!!
Not sure which one to tell you of, I've never had a 29g. Check on marinedepot.com ... they have good customer reviews of products.

#19 ·
hmmm

well i have 9 tanks without skimmers and they run fine ...good practices with water perameters would be the most important thing...then lighting...there are some corals that dont tolerate dissolved organics but it would appear you have a few that actualy like some in the water.if you can get a skimmer do but with the corals you have i wouldnt run it 24 - 7 just half the day or during heavy feeding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.