Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Bolivian Ram acting strange? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/bolivian-ram-acting-strange-65552/)

CatherineSekel 03-17-2011 08:15 PM

Bolivian Ram acting strange?

I had a Bolivian Ram purchased for me about two weeks ago for my 30 gallon tank which contained very many white clouds, two guppies, two black-skirts and a small cory cat. My tank has rocks and many hiding places for him, but also has enough open space to swim. Ever since I brought him into my fish tank he has been very inactive, swimming in the same spot for hours, hardly ever moving around the tank. He just seems like a very depressed fish! I also have never seen him eat, even when food passes right by his face (I feed all the fish in the tank blood worm and sometimes I put in tropical fish flakes). He is all gray with black spots on his sides and darker grey markings with a very solid black stripe going through the eye and some pink on his fins. I introduced another Bolivian ram into the tank believing that they were peaceful fish and that it might brighten him up (I thought he might have been lonely) but the new ram began to pick on him harshly, and now I am seeking to buy another tank to put him in. I don't have any live plants though, the tank was given to me a two months ago that originally held goldfish that was fully decorated with plastic plants. I keep the tank around 26 Celsius (78.8F?)

With all these details, I would very much appreciate if someone with some fishy knowledge could tell me what is wrong with my poor depressed looking fishy and what I could do to get my fish happy again :)

Christople 03-17-2011 10:58 PM

first off never put two males together so be sure that the other one is either male or female for future references. Next white clouds like colder water and rams at least german blue ones like warmer water. the tamp for the rams should be around 80+... so if you get another tank it has to be atleast a ten gallon. Do you perform weekly water changes, what are your water parameters try to have as many hiding spots as possible and by a lot of white clouds can you guess how many you have because it could make a difference

Christople 03-17-2011 11:00 PM

also are you sure the tank is cycled properly because petsmarts 24 hours does not work at all. neither does the three days. it can take upwards of a month if I am not mistaken

CatherineSekel 03-17-2011 11:24 PM

Thanks for answering :)! I am new to owning a fish tank, I have no idea how to cycle my water, as stupid as it probably sounds! My grandmother recently gave me the tank because she's too old to care for it now so i haven't ever done this before. Could you please tell me the maintenance I need to perform on the tank? It's very clean and well filtered and heated, that's all I thought I needed to do, lol. I don't know the water parameters either :s. I have probably give or take 30 white clouds, they don't overwhelm the tank at all in my opinion, they have lots of space by the looks of it. My rams have plenty of hiding spots, but the second ram (the one that's doing well) will chase the ram I'm worried about out of every little crevasse, he looks very scared of him and he turns pale when he comes near.
Posted via Mobile Device

CatherineSekel 03-17-2011 11:25 PM

Thanks for answering :)! I am new to owning a fish tank, I have no idea how to cycle my water, as stupid as it probably sounds! My grandmother recently gave me the tank because she's too old to care for it now so i haven't ever done this before. Could you please tell me the maintenance I need to perform on the tank? It's very clean and well filtered and heated, that's all I thought I needed to do, lol. I don't know water parameters either :s. I have probably give or take 30 white clouds, they don't overwhelm the tank at all in my opinion, they have lots of space by the looks of it. My rams have plenty of hiding spots, but the second ram (the one that's doing well) will chase the ram I'm worried about out of every little crevasse, he looks very scared of him and he turns pale when he comes near.
Posted via Mobile Device

zof 03-18-2011 07:27 PM

I have two of these fish living together in a 20 gallon, of course they are male and female, these guys tend not to be very active and will stay in spots for quite a while, it might take them a while to adjust to being in their new environment. Two males in a 30 gallon probably wont work unless its pretty well planted to give each their own territory, and even then they will occasionally chase each other and pick the occasional fight, heck my male and female do that now occasionally and they have been trying to breed.

Now the big issue as Chritople mentioned your tank is not cycled which is important to the health and survival of your fish, read this post first to gather some more information http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/ . Now the next big issue, you are way overstocked with anywhere near 30 White Clouds in there, they may not look like its too much but you have to remember fish have waste and as with the post I just referred to you will need a sufficient amount of beneficial bacteria to make the waste less harmful while also doing regular water changes. This could be one reason the ram is acting the way it is, water quality can have a large impact on behavior.

You have alot of work to go before everything will level out and you will probably lose some fish before it does level out but now is the time to start learning to create a healthy environment for your fish.

As for what you can do right now, grab yourself a liquid freshwater test kit and start testing your water and doing water changes as often as you need to, to keep the water quality in check.

Christople 03-18-2011 07:34 PM

+ for Zof and still the issue of the temp of the water, Zof what do you think about two kribs m/f pair with one male ram.

Christople 03-18-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineSekel (Post 621574)
Thanks for answering :)! I am new to owning a fish tank, I have no idea how to cycle my water, as stupid as it probably sounds! My grandmother recently gave me the tank because she's too old to care for it now so i haven't ever done this before. Could you please tell me the maintenance I need to perform on the tank? It's very clean and well filtered and heated, that's all I thought I needed to do, lol. I don't know water parameters either :s. I have probably give or take 30 white clouds, they don't overwhelm the tank at all in my opinion, they have lots of space by the looks of it. My rams have plenty of hiding spots, but the second ram (the one that's doing well) will chase the ram I'm worried about out of every little crevasse, he looks very scared of him and he turns pale when he comes near.
Posted via Mobile Device

You most likely have two males or a m/f couple did did not work

zof 03-18-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 622301)
+ for Zof and still the issue of the temp of the water, Zof what do you think about two kribs m/f pair with one male ram.

No clue never kept kribs but according to the profile on our site Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) Profile they can be territorial and aggressive to other chichlids, unless its a large tank I wouldn't try it.

Christople 03-18-2011 08:19 PM

it is a 38 but less because of substrate. I will get plants tomorrow and lots of them so there should be a lot of space and hiding spots. I have never kept kribs either but my water met their needs and my female ram died from the male I think. I thought I should try a new cichilid