Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   food for bichirs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/food-bichirs-6555/)

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 01:37 PM

food for bichirs

Ok, so i've posted before about how my bichir ate my 3 red minor tetras and 2 of my variatus (he also ate 12 ghost shrimp)...but i'm now thinking he will eat just about anything I throw in there. I feed algea wafers to my pleco and the bichir swallows them hole! Today I took the skins off of some baby peas and chopped up the hearts and he ate all of those. I also put some Omega One flake food in there and he starts swimming along the surface taking gulps of flakes! I give him an assortment of frozen foods as well as chopped cocktail shrimp but he is eating everything else too, lol! I was wondering if anyone else has any creative foods that they've given their bichirs?

Lonewolfblue 06-18-2007 02:43 PM

I haven't tried anything other than shrimp pellets and the Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. Loves them both. Mine doesn't seem to be interested in flake food either. Haven't tried vegies, maybe I'll give it a try.

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 03:08 PM

I said that mine DOES love flake food. In my past experience, bichirs have been relatively picky only taking frozen or live food and the occassional pellet. Mine is eating everything! If you want a good, cheap food...go to the supermarket and buy unseasoned cocktail shrimps. For a large bag of frozen ones its like $3 or $4 and will last you quite awhile. Just thaw them out, chop them into bite sized peices and throw them in. Its basically like buying a pack of frozen krill but for the same price you get 7 times more. :-) I think I might put some more ghost shrimp in there for him too.

Lonewolfblue 06-18-2007 03:38 PM

I might try the shrimp as well. How about beef heart for a treat on occasion? Or other seafoods like fish or salmon?

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 04:28 PM

i've given beefheart before but havnt tried fish...except the ones he already ate, lol.

jojo 10-20-2007 10:16 AM

My bichir's love earthworm's fresh from the garden if i can be bothered or from the fishing bait shop if i can't.maggot's as well although you have to feed the maggot's quickly as they are fast little sod's.

GregV 10-20-2007 05:27 PM

mHeinitz57, I want your birchir, HE SOUNDS AMAZING. lol

Lonewolfblue 10-20-2007 08:06 PM

My albino is getting a bit bigger now. He eats just about anything. Takes flake food, shrimp pellets, carnivore pellets, beef heart, shrimp, and more.

mHeinitz57 10-21-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregV
mHeinitz57, I want your birchir, HE SOUNDS AMAZING. lol

Lol, well i've had several in my fishkeeping experience and they are still my favorite fish. Everyone that i've had is like a little puppydog. The one I have right now is pretty big but he's leaving my cory and ghost glass cats alone even though he could easily eat them. I went to petsmart and got a freshwater multi-pack of frozen food and he eats everything in it along with the cocktail shrimps I give him so I keep him full. I did buy a school of tiger barbs the other day from petco and 1 of them died within 24 hours. Before I could fish the dead one out to return it the bichir had him in his mouth, lol. So he had a nice $4 lunch the other day :-)

GregV 10-21-2007 10:20 AM

LOL, your birchir sounds like he could be a janitor aswell!