Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Breeding Snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/breeding-snails-65515/)

turtle10 03-17-2011 03:27 PM

Breeding Snails

I would like to breed snails for my dwarf puffer to eat. I just got a bunch of pond snails off of aquabid and I would like to keep them in my three gallon kritter keeper (which I measured and hold more like 4 and half gallons). The problem is, I don't have an extra filter and I really don't want to pay money for a new one. Can I keep them in the kritter keeper with just weekly water changes or however many water changes are necessary? They would have live plants.

Andarial 03-17-2011 03:29 PM

I'm not sure I just bought a tiny sponge filter that was for 15 dollars at my local petco, snails don't make that much of a mess I assume it would be ok but you should check with someone else first

Lupin 03-18-2011 07:50 AM

Pond snails are bullet proof. Could care less about water quality. Weekly is fine. You can overfeed and they just explode in numbers.

turtle10 03-18-2011 11:32 AM

Haha okay perfect. That makes me feel better. I think the order includes an egg sac thingy, so that will jumpstart it.

Yeoman1000 03-19-2011 04:54 PM

A lot of 'pond' snails breath air from the surface, so you should'nt worry about lack of oxygen. I'm sure they'd appreciate live plants, and if its in a light place then that should allow for plenty of algae. A weekly water change sounds okay, just be sure to stir up their poop before you change water (take some water out, pour it back in to stir up the poop), a bit gross but they do poop alot it seems so you don't wanna let it build up too much.

turtle10 03-19-2011 06:43 PM

Lol they do poop a lot. I will do the weekly changes.

InvertPlanet 03-26-2011 05:57 PM

if you have a heater in the tank that will crank up the metabolism and give you more snails in less time.

When feeding the puffer the snail should be about the size of the puffer's eye.

turtle10 03-26-2011 06:00 PM

The size of its eye?! That is tiny! The pond snails I ordered came in today so hopefully they will start breeding soon. I had to take the heater out because I needed it for something, so is it okay if the temp stays at 70-72 degrees?

InvertPlanet 03-26-2011 06:03 PM

they don't really care about temp... room temp is fine. They just won't reach sexual maturity as quickly as if there was a heater in there.

If you are feeding a larger snail you'll have to crush it first.

turtle10 03-26-2011 06:13 PM

That is okay, I there are at least two mature ones in there. If not the pea has three big ones in his tank that can make babies, his temp is at about 78.