Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Dalmation Mollies with yellow spots (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/dalmation-mollies-yellow-spots-65507/)

kirkland14 03-17-2011 02:18 PM

Dalmation Mollies with yellow spots

I got 7 dalmation mollies about a week ago and today I noticed that some of them have have this weird yellowish spots in places. I didn't notice this before, or maybe I just missed it. I don't think it's Ich from the pictures I've looked at. Any Ideas?

Thanks

redchigh 03-17-2011 02:33 PM

ich is typically white specks, rather than yellow. Could be some other kind of parasite, but first you need to tell us your water parameters.

Ammonia burn could cause yellow spots.
How long was the tank set up before you added fish?

kirkland14 03-17-2011 05:45 PM

The tank is about a month old. All the levels already spiked and then went back down. I added the fish and everything did spike again and the ammonia was around 2.0 with the nitrite and nitrate bein around 1.0. I looked at pics of ammonia burn And it doesn't look like that.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

kirkland14 03-17-2011 07:28 PM

Also, all of the other types of fish look ok, it's only on the mollies( at least from what I can tell). I would take a picture but my camera won't really capture what it looks like

kirkland14 03-17-2011 07:52 PM

and when I look closer at my live plants some of them also have a orange-yellowish color on some of the leaves

Skunkmang 03-19-2011 08:46 PM

My Dalmation Molly has these as well i believe it is just something in the coloring...

kirkland14 03-21-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunkmang (Post 623380)
My Dalmation Molly has these as well i believe it is just something in the coloring...

it might be. I'm keeping a close eye on them. Doesn't seem very "Dalmation" to me if they yellow IMO.

Skunkmang 03-22-2011 12:20 PM

Well ok... shortly after i wrote that, mine started acting funny and died. Though i HIGHLY doubt the spots had anything to do with it as she has had them since i got her a year ago :(

kirkland14 03-22-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunkmang (Post 625984)
Well ok... shortly after i wrote that, mine started acting funny and died. Though i HIGHLY doubt the spots had anything to do with it as she has had them since i got her a year ago :(

I lost a couple as well :( guess that's what happens sometimes

LasColinasCichlids 03-22-2011 03:51 PM

My dalmation balloon molly has light burnt orange colored spots on him and the tip of his fins...wouldnt call it yellow...but this is very common in the males for the orangish color...could this be it? If it is, then that is 100% normal and part of them...the more comfortable the male molly is the more orange coloring can be seen.

Mollies are actually pretty sensitive to water parameters, and arent very hardy as some may think.