Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What will there babys look like? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-will-there-babys-look-like-65479/)

Plumkin 03-17-2011 03:51 AM

What will there babys look like?
 
so as some of you know my angels have had an sucessfull spawn was wondering what these to beautys babys would look like when they get older?

http://i55.tinypic.com/38lxu.jpg

DKRST 03-17-2011 12:57 PM

Hmmm, I don't know anything about angelfish genetics, but I'd bet you'll get some attractive variations in the offspring! Is there a dominant color in angelfish? Anyone know if angelfish color is a multiple-gene trait? I'd bet, seeing all the colors and patterns in angels, that more than a couple of genes are involved.

Oh, and congrats :-D

amazon21 03-17-2011 04:59 PM

Okay, so assuming that Parent A is a Black angelfish(not black lace) and Parent B is a Gold Marble Angelfish (not Gold Marble Pearlscale, or Gold).... The "official" probabilities are that their is a 2/3 chance that all the offspring will look Black, and a 1/3 chance that half would be black, and the other half would be Gold Marble. Although, from what I've seen, I doubt that Parent A is heterozygous for the Dark allele (D/GM) so I would count on your offspring being black. If you know what Parent A's parents were, and one was a Gold Marble Angelfish (The other being a Black Angelfish) then we could be 100% positive that half offspring would be Gold Marbled. Hope that helped :-)

amazon21 03-17-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 620921)
Hmmm, I don't know anything about angelfish genetics, but I'd bet you'll get some attractive variations in the offspring! Is there a dominant color in angelfish? Anyone know if angelfish color is a multiple-gene trait? I'd bet, seeing all the colors and patterns in angels, that more than a couple of genes are involved.

Oh, and congrats :-D

The D trait that the black parent shows is dominant over the GM trait that the other parent shows, and it is not a multiple-gene trait. No co-dominance or incomplete dominance is shown either.

DKRST 03-17-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazon21 (Post 621126)
The D trait that the black parent shows is dominant over the GM trait that the other parent shows, and it is not a multiple-gene trait. No co-dominance or incomplete dominance is shown either.

Hmmm. Without getting too deep into the angelfish genetics, and not diverting too far from Plumkin's original posted question (sorry): What influences the marbling and the "calico" color variations if black shows complete dominance? If no one wants to answer this, no sweat, I'll do some research on my end!

amazon21 03-17-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 621181)
Hmmm. Without getting too deep into the angelfish genetics, and not diverting too far from Plumkin's original posted question (sorry): What influences the marbling and the "calico" color variations if black shows complete dominance? If no one wants to answer this, no sweat, I'll do some research on my end!

The dark, marble, gold marble, and gold traits are on the same locus. Marbling does not happen because of the dark allele, it was probably some mutation from the original wild allele? The marbling allele is recessive to the Dark allele but is completely dominant over gold marble and gold. Both the Dark alleles and the marble alleles are co-dominant to the wild allele.

EDIT: Did a little research and have confirmed that the Marbled allele is a mutation from the Wild allele....

DKRST 03-17-2011 08:18 PM

Thanks - concise and easy to follow info, I appreciate it. I'll quit diverting this post now :oops:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2