Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Sick??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/sick-65476/)

alysalouise 03-17-2011 01:21 AM

Sick???

Alright so i have had this fish since november, and for like 2 weeks now he has been acting weird, he has been laying on the ground, and when he swims its head to tail circles all over, upside down, he is starting to swim upside right now, but still all the other stuff he is doing, its not normal

So whats going on?

Amethyst123 03-17-2011 04:14 AM

Not enough info. To help you, we need to know: What kind of fish? How big is your tank? What are your water parameters - temp, ammonia and nitrite especially? How often do you change the water? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a heater, a filter, plants (live, plastic, silk)? Any tank mates? If so, what kind? How many? Pictures of the fish (still photo or video) would also help.

It sounds like your fish has swim bladder problems, but that can be caused by lots of things, and therefore the solution can vary.

alysalouise 03-17-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst123 (Post 620640)
Not enough info. To help you, we need to know: What kind of fish? How big is your tank? What are your water parameters - temp, ammonia and nitrite especially? How often do you change the water? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a heater, a filter, plants (live, plastic, silk)? Any tank mates? If so, what kind? How many? Pictures of the fish (still photo or video) would also help.

It sounds like your fish has swim bladder problems, but that can be caused by lots of things, and therefore the solution can vary.

Well it is an Aferican Cichlid, my tank is a 29gallon, i dont know my water parameters, except the temp should be 76-78 degrees F, change the water every other week, tank has been cycled for a couple years, i have a heater, a filter, plants, live and just added a plastic, but the live have been in there with him since i got him and i added the plastic just a couple of days ago, and the tank mates that were with him when i noticed this, Black skirted tetra, silver molly, betta (isolated), aferican frog, 1 zebra fish and that was all, i do currently have more fish in there, except the betta is placed in its own 1 gal tank right now, and the sick fish is now the one that is isolated so none of my other fish try to eat him or anything, but he is still in the tank, just in a net breeder. And i have tried my best to get pictures of him since i have had him, i have some old ones that arent that great, but i would have to send them to my email and figure out how to upload them on here

1077 03-17-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 621578)
Well it is an Aferican Cichlid, my tank is a 29gallon, i dont know my water parameters, except the temp should be 76-78 degrees F, change the water every other week, tank has been cycled for a couple years, i have a heater, a filter, plants, live and just added a plastic, but the live have been in there with him since i got him and i added the plastic just a couple of days ago, and the tank mates that were with him when i noticed this, Black skirted tetra, silver molly, betta (isolated), aferican frog, 1 zebra fish and that was all, i do currently have more fish in there, except the betta is placed in its own 1 gal tank right now, and the sick fish is now the one that is isolated so none of my other fish try to eat him or anything, but he is still in the tank, just in a net breeder. And i have tried my best to get pictures of him since i have had him, i have some old ones that arent that great, but i would have to send them to my email and figure out how to upload them on here

Placing the sick fish in breeder net will only further stress the fish.
I might consider returning the fish to the 29 gal and would try changing five gallons of water out once each day with fresh dechlorinated water for the next week or so.
I might feed fish once a day with no more food than I actually saw them eat in a minute.
If after a week ,I saw no improvement,, I would consider another course of action.
I would also invest in a test kit so that I could quickly identify or eliminate water quality as factor with fishes health.

alysalouise 03-18-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 621586)
Placing the sick fish in breeder net will only further stress the fish.
I might consider returning the fish to the 29 gal and would try changing five gallons of water out once each day with fresh dechlorinated water for the next week or so.
I might feed fish once a day with no more food than I actually saw them eat in a minute.
If after a week ,I saw no improvement,, I would consider another course of action.
I would also invest in a test kit so that I could quickly identify or eliminate water quality as factor with fishes health.

well my fish were trying to eat him, thats why i put him in there in the first place, and i have tried feeeding him but he cant get to the top of the water to eat, because he can only swim in circles for only a couple of seconds before he just lays back down, and i have that in my list of things for my dad to order for me, its been in the list for a bit now but he hasnt gotton to the list yet, and now an Emergancy came up with him so idk how soon that list will be ordered

Amethyst123 03-18-2011 02:08 AM

If you don't have another tank in which to separate him, you could try putting him in a rubbermaid container or something where he has room to move (if/when he can) but that is shallow enough for him to get to the surface to eat. It would need to be heated, though, so this might be a problem if you don't have an extra heater.

You really need a test kit, as so many fish ailments are a result of too much ammonia and/or nitrites, and there's no way to know if you have this problem without a test kit. API Master Test Kit is a good one. The dip strips are less reliable than the liquid test kits. I'm sorry your dad is having an emergency - I hope whatever it is gets resolved quickly and satisfactorily.

I agree with the other post about doing frequent water changes for awhile - 5 gallons daily should help bring down any problem levels of ammonia or nitrite, so until you can get a test kit, that should help.

alysalouise 03-20-2011 03:41 PM

well he is pretty much dead now, so nothing really matters, and now my baby tank and my regular freshwater tank are all infested with some sort of parasite, so treatment begins today

Amethyst123 07-20-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 624027)
well he is pretty much dead now, so nothing really matters, and now my baby tank and my regular freshwater tank are all infested with some sort of parasite, so treatment begins today

I know this is now several months old, but I'm wondering how everybody's doing. Did you get the parasites under control?

alysalouise 08-31-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst123 (Post 743736)
I know this is now several months old, but I'm wondering how everybody's doing. Did you get the parasites under control?

Haha ya a fw months old, i dont have almost all of those fish anymore, only like 2 i still have i think, it was ich that took over, adn treatment never worked, but i found out that cranking the temp up at adding salt to the tank gets rid of ich for me