Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   bala sharks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/bala-sharks-6546/)

xxthrwitdwnxx 06-18-2007 12:02 AM

bala sharks

do bala sharks do better in pairs or no

tangy 06-18-2007 12:28 AM

bala sharks do better in groups of 4-5, maybe more. they are school fish, are actualy non-aggressive in a group.

Lupin 06-18-2007 12:30 AM

A very large tank is recommended. Tank size lower than 55 gallons will not permit 3 balas. Balas need plenty of room to roam around. They will not appreciate cramped spaces.

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 10:57 AM

yeah, at my store we classify them as semi-aggressive because with just one they can be nippy. In a school though I consider them to be peaceful community fish as they tend to be more docile.

leifthebunny 06-18-2007 04:28 PM

Interesting. My LFS had a 10" bala that was solitary for a long time and never bothered any of the other fish. I've also heard that as they get older, they don't require a school.

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 05:35 PM

well yeah its not like a set rule that they will definitely pick on a fish if they are by themselves. Some schooling fish will not feel safe if they are not in a school and will compensate by being more aggressive towards other fish. I rarely consider a bala an aggressive fish at all but some people have had aggressive balas when they only had one or two and they solved the problem by adding more balas. A more familiar version of this is with tiger barbs. Tigers are known fin nippers that will chase fish around a tank but in a larger school they will often leave other fish alone. They may chase eachother around but its not as aggressive and hostile. I have never heard that balas dont need a school as they get larger. I imagine that they would school as adults in the wild too. They are a relative of the minnow which we know definitely swims in large schools.

leifthebunny 06-18-2007 06:10 PM

I will have to keep that in mind. I've got 3 balas in with my school of tiger barbs. I knew about the tiger barbs. Only problem I have with them is they are eating the plants I'm trying to grow for my other fish. :P Otherwise I love the tiger barbs and have been entertaining. :)

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 10:47 PM

yeah I debated between getting tiger barbs or angels in my tank. I love them both but the tigers would have probably nipped the angels fins. Tigers are really beautiful though and I love the green and albino ones.

lioness501 06-19-2007 04:08 AM

i have a solitary bala and he is more placid that my frog! but hes only a baby

xxthrwitdwnxx 06-19-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lioness501
i have a solitary bala and he is more placid that my frog! but hes only a baby

placid that your frog??