Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Deformed Female Threadfin Rainbows - Sunk In Belly? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/deformed-female-threadfin-rainbows-sunk-belly-65429/)

DeAnne 03-16-2011 03:56 PM

Deformed Female Threadfin Rainbows - Sunk In Belly?

I have a 40 gal. tank that has the following fish, 4 Corydora Catfish, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Garra Rainbow Loach, 10 Threadfin Rainbows & 1 Black Betta with live plants. I've had all the fish living peacefully for over 1 1/2 years. I change 20% of the water every week or so. Water quality is fine & temp. is kept around 76 degrees.
The rainbows, loaches & cat fish are fed flakes in the am & bloodworms (on occasion) in the pm. The loaches & catfish also get TetraVeggie Algae Waffers or Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. (The Betta also LOVES the carnivore pellets.)
The Betta receives Aqueon Betta Food - Pellets.

**Getting to my problem - A few weeks ago I noticed one of the female Threadfin Rainbows stomach was sunken in (the fish looks like a boomerant, it's that notieable) At first I though maybe I had a defective fish & just didn't notice it before? Not likely but,, long story short, I now have another Threadfin with the same problem (another female). I have no idea what it is and could you any advice/expertiece you may have. The only thing I could think of is maybe the Threadfin got a hold of a betta pellet? Wouldn't constipation make them fatter? The Betta is fed on top of the tank - he has his area of floating grass like pants where he lives & eats. The threadfins still swim with their school, they are not being picked on and they are still eatting - although I do soak the flakes now before putting them in the water. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you!
PS - I am new to this forum; any forum for that matter lol I have about 23 tanks & I look forward to reading/posting more in the future. Thanks again!

DeAnne 03-16-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeAnne (Post 620075)
I have a 40 gal. tank that has the following fish, 4 Corydora Catfish, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Garra Rainbow Loach, 10 Threadfin Rainbows & 1 Black Betta with live plants. I've had all the fish living peacefully for over 1 1/2 years. I change 20% of the water every week or so. Water quality is fine & temp. is kept around 76 degrees.
The rainbows, loaches & cat fish are fed flakes in the am & bloodworms (on occasion) in the pm. The loaches & catfish also get TetraVeggie Algae Waffers or Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. (The Betta also LOVES the carnivore pellets.)
The Betta receives Aqueon Betta Food - Pellets.

**Getting to my problem - A few weeks ago I noticed one of the female Threadfin Rainbows stomach was sunken in (the fish looks like a boomerant, it's that notieable) At first I though maybe I had a defective fish & just didn't notice it before? Not likely but,, long story short, I now have another Threadfin with the same problem (another female). I have no idea what it is and could you any advice/expertiece you may have. The only thing I could think of is maybe the Threadfin got a hold of a betta pellet? Wouldn't constipation make them fatter? The Betta is fed on top of the tank - he has his area of floating grass like pants where he lives & eats. The threadfins still swim with their school, they are not being picked on and they are still eatting - although I do soak the flakes now before putting them in the water. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you!
PS - I am new to this forum; any forum for that matter lol I have about 23 tanks & I look forward to reading/posting more in the future. Thanks again!

Just got back from the pet store & an associate suggested that maybe it was Scurvy? Has anyone ever heard of a fish getting this? They get Tetra flakes in the am & freeze dried bloodworms in the pm (about every other day with the worms.)
Thanks!

Mikaila31 03-17-2011 06:45 PM

Fish can't get scurvy. It is likely internal parasites, if there are no other signs.

DeAnne 03-18-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 621247)
Fish can't get scurvy. It is likely internal parasites, if there are no other signs.

Thanks - I saw nothing on line regarding fish scurvy! lol. Unfortunately I ran into a lot of info on fish TB. However, the fish are very active, hanging around their school, they are eatting, no discolorations or markings. So I am keeping my fingers crossed!