Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Goldfish Questions! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/goldfish-questions-65425/)

fishgalore144 03-16-2011 03:24 PM

Goldfish Questions!

Hello. I have a ten gallon tank is it okay to have one Red Lionhead Goldfish in it? A website said that two adult goldfish should have 25 gallons so if I just have one will be 10 gallon tank due well? I am deciding on what fish to get and I really liked the Red LionHead Goldfish.:-D

Andarial 03-16-2011 03:28 PM

I think the rule of thumb for red lion head goldfish is 20 gallons per fish but I could be wrong, the reason is they just make a lot of mess and get pretty big as adults.

fishgalore144 03-16-2011 03:51 PM

Well this Red LionHead goldfish is small and the maximum size for the fish is 4 inches and the store website says around 25-29 gallons at the minimum for two adult fish not trying to be rude at all but, for one goldfish would i be able to keep it if it was cleaned regularly?

fishgalore144 03-16-2011 03:56 PM

Really confused now another person posted on a different thread- "The Goldfish rule of thumb is 10gal per 1 Goldfish. That's what I see all aver and follow strictly. I do say 1 fancy would do better in a 20 gal as the smallest"
So I can keep 1 goldfish in my 10 gallon tank??

Andarial 03-16-2011 04:06 PM

I'm not an expert, where's Lupin when you need him huh XD but this is what another fish profile says on the lionhead " It often grows larger than 10 inches. A small Lionhead Goldfish can do well in just 10 gallons of water, but more is always better. 15-20 gallons of water is considered a minimum for an adult Lionhead Goldfish. If you provide your Lionhead Goldfish with enough space and good care, it will reach its full potential and grow into a very impressive goldfish."

Lupin 03-17-2011 07:40 AM

No, you can't fit any goldfish in a 10g on a permanent basis. It will work as a quarantine or hospital tank but I would suggest that for a fancy goldfish (oranda, lionhead, ryukin, fantail, ranchu, telescopes, celestials, frogheads, etc), a 20g should be absolute minimum for one. Siamese dolls will fit 15g bare minimum. If you want to keep two fancies together, then a 30g is bare minimum.

Lionheads tend to bulk up rather than grow slender but in rare cases, they can indeed achieve 10 inches of length with a bulk of 5-6 inches. 6-8 inches is average for them. Still too big for a 10g.

Lupin 03-17-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 620088)
I'm not an expert, where's Lupin when you need him huh XD but this is what another fish profile says on the lionhead " It often grows larger than 10 inches. A small Lionhead Goldfish can do well in just 10 gallons of water, but more is always better. 15-20 gallons of water is considered a minimum for an adult Lionhead Goldfish. If you provide your Lionhead Goldfish with enough space and good care, it will reach its full potential and grow into a very impressive goldfish."

Sorry. Been working full time in Coca-Cola now so my forum visits are limited to nights and Sundays only.:-(

Andarial 03-17-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 620678)
Sorry. Been working full time in Coca-Cola now so my forum visits are limited to nights and Sundays only.:-(

Awww Evil coca-cola, Just know I miss you oh knowledgeable one

Lupin 03-18-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 621001)
Awww Evil coca-cola, Just know I miss you oh knowledgeable one

You flatter me, Andee! :oops: I still try to check here whenever I have a chance.;-)

LasColinasCichlids 03-19-2011 10:06 PM

So, Lupin, I have never had goldfish before, and I know you are the one to ask... those big beautiful $25 goldfish Petsmart sells, would a 29 gallon be too small for two of those bad boys (as the ONLY fish in the tank)??

Curious...because down the road (talking a couple of years) I want something different and full of personality. My whole reason for getting back into the hobby was to work my way up to Blood Red Parrot Cichlids, but I dont want to deal with such a large tank, and since I dont want to upgrade, those goldfish have very similiar interaction levels with their owners as BRP...but if my tank is not big enough I will of course not do it...

The rule of thumb on goldfish I had always heard was 20 gallons for the first one, and 10 additional gallons for each there after. Is that pretty accurate in your opinion?