Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (
-   -   lifeguard inline filter system (

trreherd 09-27-2006 08:57 PM

lifeguard inline filter system
have any of you guys ever used a lifeguard inline filter system?

usmc121581 09-28-2006 06:41 AM

I have never heard of that, what is it?

trreherd 09-28-2006 03:35 PM
I like this filter because it is very costomizable All i want is the mechanicle filter with the fluidizer bed but i dont know what pump to get or how to hard plumb it, the fluidizer bed cant have more than a 150 gph flow I asked a guy from dr fostersmith but he was not doing a good job explaining how to set one of thes filters up
I think this filter and a refugium would be most exelent for a 30 gallon reef

trreherd 09-29-2006 04:01 PM

so....Any sugjestions on how to hard plumb something like this

usmc121581 09-29-2006 05:46 PM

Easy, just get an overflow box with washer hose. then fabricate a 1/2 pipe line back to the tank.

trreherd 09-29-2006 05:52 PM

what is a washer hose? how do you conect the pvc to the pump?How do you start the flow? how do you perform filter maintanace without haveng the water from the the pipe rush back?

usmc121581 09-29-2006 06:38 PM

A washer hose is the hose that takes the dirty water from your washing machine to the sink or drain. How I hooked the PVC was get about2' of 1/2" tubing then you would hook that to the 1/2" outlet on the pump, next you would get a 1/2" connector that will attach the hose to the PVC pipe , then just build the PVC pipe to the main tank. Drill about a 1/16" hole right below the water line in the tank so when/if the pump stops working it will break the seal alot sooner. If you need I will take picks of mine and add them in the DIY. To perform maintence on the filter is easy turn the pump off. the water will rush back to the sump tank, but only till it reach's the 1/16" hole you drilled in the PVC pipe. That is also why you need to leave room in the sump so it won't over flow.

trreherd 09-29-2006 07:29 PM

It would make explaining this alot easier if you did do a thread on the diy section.also its not a sump.

crazie.eddie 09-29-2006 09:11 PM

I've seen those before and actually think it would be nice, but I've never really seen or known anyone using it.

trreherd 10-02-2006 05:46 PM

ok i just did some reaserch in my drfostersmith catalouge :shock: and i think i get it, you need to use ball valves to stop the flow while doing filter maintainense and you need union conecters to easily detach the filter from the plumbing when you have to work on it.-the fluidizer bed can not have a flow rate over 140 gph i havent been able to find a pump that pumps that slow?-any sugjestions

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome