Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Aggressive Male Molly Issue (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/aggressive-male-molly-issue-65396/)

LasColinasCichlids 03-16-2011 12:57 AM

Aggressive Male Molly Issue

Okay, I feel rather silly asking for advice regarding this, as I am rather experianced with fishies, but this is an issue I have never dealt with before.

In my 29 gallon tank up until like 2 weeks ago, I had only had one molly, a male dalmation balloon molly named Spot. Spot had always lived with at least 4 male guppies and was super sweet. Once I moved the guppies and Spot to the 29 gal from a smaller tank, Spot started to try and be "King of the Tank"... he wasnt overly aggressive or anything, but you could just tell that all the other fish cleared the way for him.

Long story short, 2 weeks ago I added another molly, a male lyretail. (I dont want to deal with fry, and I dont have the tank space to add all the females needed for the mollies and guppies since they can crossbreed...I would need like 15 females! Oh my! lol) Okay, so since day one of adding the new molly, Spot has gone nuts! He chases the new guy around all the time! When I added the new molly, there was also 2 new male guppies added, Spot has no interest in the new guppies! Spot laid off a bit after about 4 days. However, he still will often be seen chasing the new molly. He has tried to "nip" the new molly's tail, but with no success. Spot is rather slow, I have always compared his swimming to the waddle of a penguin. He is a balloon molly, but the kind Petsmart sells, so they are very round (like a quarter with fins) verses the true balloon that you find at quality lfs. The new molly is easily twice the size of Spot, and just runs from him. The new molly does NOT seem stressed at all, thankfully.

So my question is this...I am very familiar with cichlids, is it wise to add another male molly to try and spread out Spot's aggression, as you would do with cichlids???

If so, I will head to the lfs tomorrow to pick up a 3rd male molly. (Not that is matters...but if I get enough green lights for a 3rd male molly, I will be adding a solid black one, as I think that would just set off the colors in my tank! lol Yes, I color-cordinate my fish when possible.)

Thanks in advance!!!

(Oh, and I know that male mollies can be aggressive, but I didnt think it would be that consistant in a tank this large with just two of them.)

1077 03-16-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 619705)
Okay, I feel rather silly asking for advice regarding this, as I am rather experianced with fishies, but this is an issue I have never dealt with before.

In my 29 gallon tank up until like 2 weeks ago, I had only had one molly, a male dalmation balloon molly named Spot. Spot had always lived with at least 4 male guppies and was super sweet. Once I moved the guppies and Spot to the 29 gal from a smaller tank, Spot started to try and be "King of the Tank"... he wasnt overly aggressive or anything, but you could just tell that all the other fish cleared the way for him.

Long story short, 2 weeks ago I added another molly, a male lyretail. (I dont want to deal with fry, and I dont have the tank space to add all the females needed for the mollies and guppies since they can crossbreed...I would need like 15 females! Oh my! lol) Okay, so since day one of adding the new molly, Spot has gone nuts! He chases the new guy around all the time! When I added the new molly, there was also 2 new male guppies added, Spot has no interest in the new guppies! Spot laid off a bit after about 4 days. However, he still will often be seen chasing the new molly. He has tried to "nip" the new molly's tail, but with no success. Spot is rather slow, I have always compared his swimming to the waddle of a penguin. He is a balloon molly, but the kind Petsmart sells, so they are very round (like a quarter with fins) verses the true balloon that you find at quality lfs. The new molly is easily twice the size of Spot, and just runs from him. The new molly does NOT seem stressed at all, thankfully.

So my question is this...I am very familiar with cichlids, is it wise to add another male molly to try and spread out Spot's aggression, as you would do with cichlids???

If so, I will head to the lfs tomorrow to pick up a 3rd male molly. (Not that is matters...but if I get enough green lights for a 3rd male molly, I will be adding a solid black one, as I think that would just set off the colors in my tank! lol Yes, I color-cordinate my fish when possible.)

Thanks in advance!!!

(Oh, and I know that male mollies can be aggressive, but I didnt think it would be that consistant in a tank this large with just two of them.)

I would not add another male,could just as easily wind up with two aggressive fish and one being picked on.
29 gallons is not that large for this species. Your tank may be closer to 25 gal depending on depth of substrate.
Would also note that what you are seeing, is what male livebearer's frequently do, whether females are present or not, but then you already know this.

LasColinasCichlids 03-16-2011 06:59 PM

Against advice (not my fault, didnt read this until I got back as I had ran out of time today), I got a male black molly for the tank. (Also grabbed 3 laserbeam guppies as they had them for 62 cents since they dont plan on carrying them anymore.)

Fortunately it was a good choice. Spot tried to chase the new black molly, he is very large, probably 2 inches or so, and he turned around chased him for one second to let him know he wouldnt deal with it, and then went along his way in the tank as if all was well. So then Spot turned around and started playing with the lyretail in the bubble wand and all is at peace!!! (Well, except for all the guppies trying to re-obtain their pecking order now with 3 new ones added.)

Oh, and I realize my tank is pushing its limits stocking wise...and so I have asked my friend if she wants my shoal of rasboras as she just recently upgraded her tank and its now fully cycled and looks very empty...plus she loves rasboras and they would fit nicely with her fish and water parameters. Plus I think I will upgrade my 5 gal next month to a 10 or 15 gal (most likely 10 so I dont have to upgrade my filter, as I am already running a 10 gal filter on my 5 gal). I was going to do this on my last check, but other financial obligations came up. Also upgrading my filter on my 29 gal as the marineland biowheel sucks. I am going to put on an AquaClear meant for a 50 gallon.

1077 03-17-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 620283)
Against advice (not my fault, didnt read this until I got back as I had ran out of time today), I got a male black molly for the tank. (Also grabbed 3 laserbeam guppies as they had them for 62 cents since they dont plan on carrying them anymore.)

Fortunately it was a good choice. Spot tried to chase the new black molly, he is very large, probably 2 inches or so, and he turned around chased him for one second to let him know he wouldnt deal with it, and then went along his way in the tank as if all was well. So then Spot turned around and started playing with the lyretail in the bubble wand and all is at peace!!! (Well, except for all the guppies trying to re-obtain their pecking order now with 3 new ones added.)

Oh, and I realize my tank is pushing its limits stocking wise...and so I have asked my friend if she wants my shoal of rasboras as she just recently upgraded her tank and its now fully cycled and looks very empty...plus she loves rasboras and they would fit nicely with her fish and water parameters. Plus I think I will upgrade my 5 gal next month to a 10 or 15 gal (most likely 10 so I dont have to upgrade my filter, as I am already running a 10 gal filter on my 5 gal). I was going to do this on my last check, but other financial obligations came up. Also upgrading my filter on my 29 gal as the marineland biowheel sucks. I am going to put on an AquaClear meant for a 50 gallon.

Well, sounds like a good plan.
Were it me,(and it ain't) I would keep the five gtallon for quarantine tank for new fishes such as the molly you purchased.
Hope your fish get along well .

LasColinasCichlids 03-17-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 620579)
Well, sounds like a good plan.
Were it me,(and it ain't) I would keep the five gtallon for quarantine tank for new fishes such as the molly you purchased.
Hope your fish get along well .

I will be keeping the 5 gallon around for sure, will just have to re-cycle it at a later date (want to use as a hospital tank if ever needed), as I plan on transferring everything from the 5 to a 10...including the filter, gravel, plants, decor, and fish of course.

I have never done QT, I know I should, but I have never had issues before from the places I get my fishies.

Thanks!!! :)

1077 03-17-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 620587)
I will be keeping the 5 gallon around for sure, will just have to re-cycle it at a later date (want to use as a hospital tank if ever needed), as I plan on transferring everything from the 5 to a 10...including the filter, gravel, plants, decor, and fish of course.

I have never done QT, I know I should, but I have never had issues before from the places I get my fishies.

Thanks!!! :)

A small sponge filter left to run in one of your other tanks, could quickly be moved to hospital or quarantine tank. No need to Re-cycle a tank.

Amethyst123 03-17-2011 03:57 AM

I'm glad you're planning to move your betta, neon tetras, and frog to a 10 gal. When I saw your stock in the 5 gallon, my immediate reaction was that they needed twice the room. Good plan.

LasColinasCichlids 03-17-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst123 (Post 620636)
I'm glad you're planning to move your betta, neon tetras, and frog to a 10 gal. When I saw your stock in the 5 gallon, my immediate reaction was that they needed twice the room. Good plan.

Well, if it wasnt for the recently added neons, I wouldnt be too inclined to upgrade. The neons are very small at the moment, so I felt they were okay being placed in there.

I originally was going to put them in the 29 gallon, but with the filter acting crappy, I thought it wasnt too wise, good thing I didnt, as I ended up adding more stock to it already and its pushing its limits.

I think when I upgrade the 5 to a 10, I will add a couple of the fish from the larger tank, or maybe just the balloon molly (if the betta will accept him).

Amethyst123 03-18-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 621438)
Well, if it wasnt for the recently added neons, I wouldnt be too inclined to upgrade. The neons are very small at the moment, so I felt they were okay being placed in there.

I originally was going to put them in the 29 gallon, but with the filter acting crappy, I thought it wasnt too wise, good thing I didnt, as I ended up adding more stock to it already and its pushing its limits.

I think when I upgrade the 5 to a 10, I will add a couple of the fish from the larger tank, or maybe just the balloon molly (if the betta will accept him).

Yeah, without the neons it would be a different story. I've never had frogs, but I know that others have kept an ADF or 2 in 5g with a betta.

How are your betta and neons getting along? I want to move my betta in with my neon tetras, and have had mixed reactions when mentioning it to other betta owners. I've only had the betta for a few weeks, and during transit from Wisconsin to Washington he decided that his tail was travel food, so I'm waiting for it to grow back in completely before trying him with the neons. I have a 14g that currently has 8 neon tetras (had 9, one died). I'm planning to add another 3, to bring the school up to 11, before adding the betta. If he doesn't work out with them I will put him back where he is (a divided 10g - the other side is reserved for the other betta I should be receiving in a week or so) and add another 2 or 4 neon tetras instead. Any thoughts?

edit: Also, how is your oto doing as the only one in the tank? I've heard mixed info about otos on their own vs with several others of their kind. I've never tried to keep them alone - I have 5 in my community tank with my cories and livebearers, and they frequently run around the tank together - sometimes even with the cories. I'm asking primarily because I'd like to have some otos with the bettas in the two sides of the 10g, but I've been worried that neither side has enough room for 3 otos or more, with the betta, and I haven't wanted to go with less than 3 who could hang out together.

1077 03-18-2011 05:46 AM

Betta's prefer much warmer water than neons would enjoy.
Neons would prefer water around 75 degrees F.In warmer temps,they simply burn out and die within a few weeks,months.
Betta's would prefer warm 78 to 82 degrees F and often become sluggish and prone to bloating when kept in cooler temps.