Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Red Wag Swordtails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/red-wag-swordtails-65387/)

fishgalore144 03-15-2011 08:58 PM

Red Wag Swordtails

Hello. I am thinking about getting and breeding Red Wag Swordtails and I have a ten gallon tank and I do have a seperate 56 gallon tank for the fry. So I was wondering if I could get information about breeding them because I know nothing really about breeding them. So all information will be helpful like how hard it is and and all that thanks so much and any other advice about them will be greatly appreciated.

DKRST 03-16-2011 09:44 AM

You have a 56 gallon for the fry? Wow, I'd use that as my main tank... At any rate, swords are livebearers, easy to breed, and the biggest problem you'll likely have is the adults eating the fry! The "breeding chambers" work, but are not recommended since it seriously restricts the females movement. Best option, in my opinion, is to have the pregnat female(s) in a heavily planted tank or a tank with lots of plastic plants (at least some floating) for the fry to hide in. I'd personally use the 10g for the "birthing" tank. Keep mom well-fed before birth, but don't overfeed, to somewhat reduce cannabalism. Check the tank frequently and remove mom or fry ASAP after birth. There is a lot of info on line regarding breeding of livebearers and I'm certain the more expert folks on this forum can give you additional specifics. Also, you'll probably want to be careful about inbreeeding.

fishgalore144 03-16-2011 02:59 PM

Thanks and I am going to use the 10 gallon tank as the birthing tank but I was wondering after the fry are born and grow up and stuff will I still be able to have two of them in the 10 gal. or is that overcrowded?

DKRST 03-16-2011 07:56 PM

Personally, I think 2 swords in a 10 gallon is fine, others here may disagree?
What else is in there with them?

fishgalore144 03-17-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 620333)
Personally, I think 2 swords in a 10 gallon is fine, others here may disagree?
What else is in there with them?

Well it would just be the two of them and plants and gravel other than that so a 10 gallon sounds okay?

DKRST 03-17-2011 02:50 PM

I think it'd work fine.. As long as they have sufficient swimming room.

fishgalore144 03-17-2011 03:47 PM

Thanks so much!

DKRST 03-17-2011 05:06 PM

oops! forgot the golden rule of livebearers - if you have a male and a single female, the male will constantly "harass" the female trying to mate. You need a 2 to 1 or, better, a 3 to 1 ratio of females to males!

fishgalore144 03-18-2011 01:48 PM

Okay so get three of them got ya!:-D