Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   A Suppressed Love For Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/suppressed-love-fish-6535/)

aquathena 06-17-2007 11:55 AM

A Suppressed Love For Fish

And not just for the edible kind.

I currently own two (male?) Longfin Zebra Danios, two (one male, one female) Mickey Mouse Platies, one (female) Pink Peppermint Spotted Platy, three (one male, two female) Red Wagtail Platies, and four Ghost Shrimp in a 40-gallon tank. I definitely plan on getting some more fish but unfortunately need to wait until I get my next paycheck. After all, university students have tight budgets when they're not buying textbooks or paying for classes. :oops:

The Danios originally came in a 2.5 gallon tank my older sister gave to me after several attempts of trying to breed a pair of Betta fish. After they died, she filled the tank with several different kinds of Barbs, Mollies, and Platies. Unfortunately, being in such a confined space really stressed the fish to the point that they started to die off one by one. The only survivors were the two Danios, which I soon inherited.

To be perfectly honest, I was nervous when she gave them to me. I kept wondering how long they would live for in my care and kept hoping that they would not have to suffer much. I had several bad experiences with fish keeping, even though I grew up with aquariums and koi ponds for as long as I could remember (my father has always loved them). Not only that, but fish were animals I never wanted as pets. After all, it's difficult to love a creature that can't curl up in your lap or that you can't hold. Finding out that I actually enjoy having fish and caring for them was like a crash of lightning and a roar of thunder. Completely and utterly unexpected.

I've had the Danios for over two years now, and only recently tried to add new fish with them. The two Mickey Mouse Platies and one of the Ghost Shrimp were added about a month ago, the pink Spotted Platy joined in a week or two after that, and I got the three Red Wagtail Platies and Ghost Shrimp a few days ago. My father gave me the 40-gallon tank after going through some of the things in the garage that he no longer needed. I set it up in the corner of my living space, the only area that it would actually fit, with a new filter and heater. I also added some fake plants and a large hollowed shell to provide hiding places, but plan on getting an actual rock cave for them to enjoy.

Although my little aquarium is still very much in the works, I love it anyway. I enjoy watching my fish swim around and can sit there in front of it for hours. My friends find that incredibly amusing and are always saying that I am an old lady trapped in a young woman’s body. I'm still not sure if that's supposed to be an insult or a compliment, but really, I don't care. I'm having fun with this hobby!

I found this forum by chance and enjoy all of the helpful information, so I hope to meet many of you. However, as a warning, I want to let you know that I ask a lot of question and might not get it the first time around. Please be patient with me. :wink: Thank you.

Amphitrite 06-17-2007 06:48 PM

Hi aquathena and welcome to the forum! It's great to have you with us, and please ask as many questions as you want, that's what we're here for - and there's always somebody to help out :)

Lupin 06-17-2007 08:54 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com, Aquathena.:wave:

herefishy 06-17-2007 09:32 PM

Welcome, aquathena. Glad to have you as one of us. :sick:

aquathena 06-18-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateyoup
Hi aquathena and welcome to the forum! It's great to have you with us, and please ask as many questions as you want, that's what we're here for - and there's always somebody to help out :)

Thank you very much. That's why I wanted to join this forum, because everyone just seems so nice and fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Aquathena.:wave:

I'm very glad to be here! Thank you for the kind greeting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
Welcome, aquathena. Glad to have you as one of us. :sick:

I sure hope so. I want to do my best and learn as much as I can, in order to be as experienced as everyone else here!

Lupin 06-18-2007 02:30 AM

Sometimes I wonder why Herefishy sometimes acts unusually.:mrgreen:

aquathena 06-18-2007 03:00 AM

I don't find it offensive or anything, but I was surprised at seeing such a horrid face next to such a kind greeting. I just wasn't sure how I should take it.

Lupin 06-18-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquathena
I don't find it offensive or anything, but I was surprised at seeing such a horrid face next to such a kind greeting. I just wasn't sure how I should take it.

Ah no..I don't see it offensive at all either.:) He just had a funny way of showing his sense of humor.:lol:

willow 06-18-2007 08:43 AM

hi,welcome aboard,
hope you enjoy it here,
there are plenty of helpful people around,
and don't worry about getting stuff either,
as your not the only one.
:D

aquathena 06-18-2007 01:10 PM

Thank you! I'm sure with all these kind greetings that I'll enjoy here very much. :D