Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   anythin else??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/anythin-else-6532/)

lioness501 06-17-2007 11:33 AM

anythin else???

in my 30 gal i currently have, 3 hatchett fish, 2 small tetras, 2 denisoni barbs, 2 kuhlis loach,upside down cat, 2 cories, 3 inch pleco and a baby bala shark. due to rehoming my large pleco within the next week or 2 i thought maybe i could get somethin else. can i get anythin else without overstocking?? it is well maintained and i thought with the pleco gone(along with the huge amount of waste he produces) i could get somethin else in there. somethin nice ont he eye maybe???? any suggestions? none of the fish, apart from pleco, r bigger than 2 inches

mHeinitz57 06-17-2007 12:57 PM

well you bala will grow quite large (about a foot) and probably kill or eat any small tetras and barbs. Technically your tank is fully stocked, if not overstocked. You mentioned in another post that you got a 15 gallon tank and you were looking for suggestions. Well one option could be to split up this tank and put smaller fish in the 15 and larger fish such as your bala into the 30. Although a 30 would still be too small eventually, balas are actually a schooling fish so getting 2 more friends for him would be nice too. You mentioned in your other post about keeping apistos, which could probably hang with the balas maybe. I dunno, just an idea.

leifthebunny 06-17-2007 06:00 PM

The barbs will get to be about 6" and the bala about 12-14". Depending on the pleco type, it will likely get to 12" as well.

Bala sharks are perfectly capable of being in a community tank, but anything that will fit into it's mouth, likely will, as with most other fish.

I would hold off until you rehome some of the larger fish. Then you should look at getting more tetras as they need a school (6+). Hatchetfish are pseudo schoolers and some prefer to be in schools, others are fine on their own.

lioness501 06-18-2007 03:21 AM

i realise that the bala will need rehomin sometime soon, but r they slow growers??? the pleco is a gibby and will need rehomin later on too! splittin the tank isnt somethin i really wanna do, but it is an idea, ive also thought of putting an extra filter in the tank, would that be wise??? if so wat kind of filter?

mHeinitz57 06-18-2007 07:36 AM

in a small tank they will grow slower but in a large tank they actually can grow somewhat quickly. That doesnt mean they adapt, that just means a small tank stunts their growth. That can actually lead to lathargic behavior and stress which can lead to disease. LIke I mentioned earlier, the bala is a schooling fish too so just having 1 isn't suggested. With some fish, you can compensate for a small tank by making sure you have enough filtration and enough bio media for bacteria to grow and support the bioload of the tank. With balas though, they are a large and very active fish...they need the space. I know people go by the 1 inch per gallon rule but can you imagine a 12 inch bala in a 12 gallon tank?! It would be the most misreable bala ever. Extra filtration will only get you so far, you will need a bigger tank to keep him happy.

lioness501 06-18-2007 10:30 AM

thanks, like i said before, i am aware that in time he will need rehoming. at the mo he is the same size as my denisoni barbs and they r not fully grown either. he hangs out with them quite a lot! i think ill stick with wat ive got til the bug guys r rehomed! thanks for the advice