Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What is a Co2 system and why should (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-co2-system-why-should-65281/)

Bluebirdnanny 03-14-2011 06:50 PM

What is a Co2 system and why should

is it really needed? Is that another way of saying air pump application method?

I want to plant my tank heavier but is this 'system' a requirement for a healthy tank now days?

I never had anything but filter, air, fish and substrate in all my years I had fish before. All this new fangled stuff is confusing to me. Can someone explain the pro and con of having this or not???

Mikaila31 03-14-2011 08:01 PM

CO2 helps boost plant growth by increasing CO2 levels in the water. It is not like an airpump. There are two methods yeast(DIY) and more expensive pressurized setups. CO2 is only required with high light levels and high nutrient demand. When these conditions are not present CO2 can still be helpful, but certainly is not required.

dfbiggs 03-17-2011 08:29 AM

I have the DIY setup and I think it is very montonous to change out the yeast and sugar every so often. If you can spring for the expensive system I recommend it. Just depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it the DIY.

Byron 03-17-2011 11:44 AM

It all depends upon what you expect/want from your aquarium plants.

If you want rapid growth, then going high-tech (mega-light, CO2, daily nutrient dosing) will achieve it. But as Mikaila who uses this method (basically) will tell you, it is higher in cost and maintenance.

If you want healthy plants that look nice and have much less cost (money and maintenance), you can go low-tech. Minimal light, no CO2, weekly (either once or twice, depending) dose of nutrient fertilizer. The tanks under "Aquariums" below my name on the left illustrate what is possible with this natural method. I think my tanks are planted "heavy" so take a look.

Byron.

Bluebirdnanny 03-18-2011 01:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I will stay "low tech" as it was put. haha I prefer the terms: natural eco-balanced.

My tank currently has cambodia and plastic mix. Natural soil sub-base with plant nutrients added which is covered with gravel and a few scattered river rocks as fry cover. Cambodia is putting up new growth and branching in some places so I guess it is rich enough.

Fish currently:
2 adult female Gold Dust Platty
Fry of two births
Mickey Mouse Molly Fry (possibly 3 birthings)
2 adult female Green Neon Moscow Fancy Guppies
2 sets of of fry from a different female
1 Pleco

There are three male guppies from first fry attending to the 2 grown females (not their mom). I noticed one new fry the other day so will be moving some originals to the 10 gallon where their mom is. She keeps the "headed for LFS" tank cycled.

Byron I am sending you a PM.